Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 upgrade nightmare !

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lotd

lotd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:54 PM

Ah the joys of a new operating system that is windows 7- hailed as the be all and end all of Os world wide- alas the truth is some what less than their claims, here is my story...
I am a student- so i get the imba 30 win7 home premium ed
I buy this online via my college web bage- all good and sound, us students are always looking for a good bargin- seeing this we thought "omg- MUST HAVE !"
I recieve my email and confirmation link for the download site (digital river)

i`ve done some background research into the hazzard and potential hazzards of upgrading from xp- win7(omg there`s lots)
fearlessly i buy a external hard drive 1 tera bite Western Digital (64 from tesco)
I download the "easy tranferer wizard" from MS - run this and begin transfer(4 hours later), we are done

I download the windows 7 home prmium upgrade package from the email link ...

3 hours later in on my machine- i click the RUN button- pc decides- yes i like this and off we go....

then a few mins later ERROR !

the ping of death sound has occured, follwed by the error of death
Error reads as follows...
"we are unable to create or save new file in which this application was downloaded(i down loaded to my desktop- the default selection).
Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have the security permision on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read only."

ok, this is where i get stopped- my hard drive has 153gig of space remaining(with the download on it).
I`m running the xp in administrator mode- thus i should access to read and wrie all files/ folder on the pc- apparently not

read something about buring the file into a iso- completly at a loss about this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:40 PM

Even though there is an upgrade path from XP to Windows 7...which allows us XP-users to use the "upgrade" editions of Windows 7...the resulting install will be that of a clean install.

Sooo...if you are trying to install Windows 7 on top of XP...you are wasting your time needlessly.

This information was put out by Microsoft at least 90 days ago.

If you want to discuss Windows 7 and how to install it properly...there is a BC Windows 7 forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users