Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC acting up, error messages, and more

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jguy

jguy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

My computer is acting strange.I am getting several error messages, the one that really concerns me is this. The message reads, "Your request cannot be completed because the service could not be found or did not respond. The service might be experiecing technical difficulties or you may need to adjest your network settings." This was an internet connection error. But, I am confused... All I did was double click on my computer C drive and then sometimes when I try to click a folder, any folder, doesn't matter which folder I try to open I get this message.

My system resources seem to be running high also, even though I have not a lot of things running.

I am also getting an error that says memory is low, and I can't open anything else. I have my mail running, and a browser and that's it.

I know it is not a virus, malware, spyware, etc, because I was just over in the spywarewarrior forum getting a problem solved, my pc is clean.

My computer is slow also, something isn't right...

I am running XP SP3, I just installed it but nothing improved. I am also running Office 2007 SP2 now also.

Anyway have any ideas?

Edited by jguy, 23 October 2009 - 11:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

I would try replacing the CMOS battery.

Lots of crazy errors are usally symptoms of either a dying battery or RAM problems, IMO.

Louis

I would try replacing the CMOS battery.

Lots of crazy errors are usally symptoms of either a dying battery or RAM problems, IMO.

Louis

#3 jguy

jguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

Hi Hamluis,

I leave my PC on 24/7. Would the battery still be an issue?

RAM problems? oh dear.. What is the name of that mem software we can download? memmaker or mem868 or something like that, I forget, it runs a series of tests of your RAM.

Thanks.

#4 jguy

jguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:08 AM

I have ran one pass with memtest86, no problems.. I will next try to replace the CMOS battery, though I would think there should be no problems with the battery as my system is always on...

Someone mentioned that I need to reformat... Gosh I hope not...

#5 jguy

jguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:49 AM

I have replaced the CMOS battery and have tested the memory, none of these things helped.. other ideas?

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:09 AM

post your system specs here:

CPU:
RAM Amount:
HARDDISK:

#7 jguy

jguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:27 AM

Here are my full specs.

Windows XP SP3
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 1.8 had (but note that I had it overclocked at 2.8 for 2 and a half years I just recently set it back to 1.8 because I wanted to install more memory, and that memory isn't compatible so... I need to reset the bios back to the OC status.)
Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi-AP Motherboard
2Gb AData DDR-II 800MHz
Asus 7300GT 256mb NVida PC-Express Graphics Card
1x 320GB Seagate 16mb SATA II HDD 3 partitions
1x 1TB Seagate Sata II HDD 2 partitions
1x Maxtor 250GB HDD 2 partitions
1x WD 640GB HDD 1 partition
1x Sony DVDRW
1x Lite on CDRW
1x 1.44in floppy
1x TV card
S12 430W Seasonic PSU