Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

shut down code.....infected?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

Hi, was surfing jobs and typed in making money etc then somehow I cliked run on a site. The computer went beserk so I shut down. On restart I had a gambling site up which took a couple of tries to get rid of.

Decided to do a virus/spyware check......Mcafee would not scan and my 2 spy/malware progs were knocked out!

Mcaffe suggested after trying a few things removing and reinstalling. well now when I switch on I get a window saying NT Authority System C:\windows\system32\services.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code - 1073741482 system will now shut down

Only it doesn't, it just hangs with the desktop picture and no systems tray or icons. Tried starting in safe but that hangs too.

Reckon it's fried! Computer man say operating system buggered either on it's own or something blocking it but maybe you guys have come accross this. Tried Google and it seems I am not alone but cant seem to get a positive answer from there.

Any easily read advice appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by doresy, 23 October 2009 - 08:59 AM.

Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

I see various malware references to similar/same messages.

I am going to have this thread moved to one of our malware forums. Do not take any further instructions from anyone at this forum, take all instructions from now on at the seemingly appropriate malware site. That includes following any administrative procedures which are posted there.

Thanks.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:30 AM

just hangs with the desktop picture and no systems tray or icons.

Can you access Task Manager?
Ctrl+Alt+Delete or Ctrl+Shift then press Esc
Start>Run>type taskmgr and click OK

Once you are in Task Manager open the Applications window and end all tasks
Start a new task and type explorer.exe
Hopefully that should bring back the Desktop where you can run some scans

==========================================

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

----------------------------------

Please note: If Rootrepeal fails to run, try this step: Click Settings - Options. Set the Disk Access slider to High

Also try: right-click on rootrepeal.exe and rename it to tatertot.scr
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:19 PM

kinda worked it out for myself....

Reckon a or some files in the operating system were either currupted or blocked by some sort of nasty.

Being an HP pc it has a restore section to the harddrive which remains uneffected by an attack. Have done a recovery without loosing data but most of my added programs a duff but one by one I am updating them.

All working fine now, it's like haveing the old thing new again. SP1 (lol) nearly done update to SP2 then go get SP3!

Thanks all
Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

Good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users