Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't use search in Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 marco00168

marco00168

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:05 AM

I have had a problem with the search function in Outlook 2003 after I installed google desktop. I don't know if that's a coincidence. I have since uninstalled google desktop but the problem still remains.

The error message that I get when I look in contacts is: (Translated from Italian since I live in Rome)

Too many windows Find public folders open. To use the command advanced search, close the open windows. Close the dialog window? After I close the window I get another window with the message "Name of the folder already exists"

This error message happens when I look up in another outlook.pst from a computer connected by lan.

Can anyone help?

Thanx

Marco

Italian error message:
Troppe finestre Trova cartelle pubbliche aperte. Per utilizzare il comando Ricerca avanzata, chiudere le finestre aperte. Chiudere le finestre di dialogo? Yes

Nome di cartella giÓ esistente

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

Have you tried On-demand detect and repair
Bottom of page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822238
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 marco00168

marco00168
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:00 AM

:thumbsup: FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! IT WORKED. I CAN NOW USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

WITH THE RIGHT TOOL IT WAS VERY SIMPLE. THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

MARCO :flowers:

Edited by marco00168, 27 October 2009 - 03:00 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:16 AM

Good to hear it's working
Thank you for posting back
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 marco00168

marco00168
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:55 AM

:thumbsup:

I have to backtrack. When I opened a .PST file from another computer in the LAN I got the same exact error message. Help.

#6 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:59 AM

Opening pst files across the network (fom another PC or a fileserver) is unsupported and very flaky. (that's why MS never recommend to put archive files in users home directories in a shared network folder).

Although unsupported, it can work, but may be unreliable.

My guess is that you need to install windows search on both machines, so that you can search the index of the other one, rather than it having to literally doa full search 'on the fly'.

How large are the files in question? (in MB and/or number of messages)
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

#7 marco00168

marco00168
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:11 AM

The pst in the "other" PC is 8MB. I used to be able to search in the other machine.

About the time I added google desktop I noticed I was getting the error messages as mentioned before.

How do I install windows search and how do I search the index of the other one.

Thank you for the input.

Marco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users