Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

comp dead,no power light

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 craneop

craneop

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:41 AM

hello, I was having a problem with the comp rebooting/freezing. Comp would freeze randomly,usually right after log in. Rebooting seemed to happen while searching the web (nothing intensive). comp is virus free. I recently installed a second hard drive @ one month ago( dual boot ubuntu ). Everything was working fine. I don't believe this is related to a overheating problem. Inside comp is clean and fans are working properly. Last reboot and comp is now dead. No power light when comp is turned on,the yellow light is on. The green power light does not light up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The comp is @ 6-7 y/o. compaq presario.Thanks,Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:52 AM

hello, I was having a problem with the comp rebooting/freezing. Comp would freeze randomly,usually right after log in. Rebooting seemed to happen while searching the web (nothing intensive). comp is virus free. I recently installed a second hard drive @ one month ago( dual boot ubuntu ). Everything was working fine. I don't believe this is related to a overheating problem. Inside comp is clean and fans are working properly. Last reboot and comp is now dead. No power light when comp is turned on,the yellow light is on. The green power light does not light up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The comp is @ 6-7 y/o. compaq presario.Thanks,Joe

Using a DMM, test the output voltages of the power supply.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how-ju...supply-psu.html

#3 The_Cre8r

The_Cre8r

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:54 AM

agreed, the power supply may have blown if you plug it in and can hear a faint high frequency sound if you put your ear close to it then it is blown.

#4 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:24 AM

Thanks DaffyKantReed & The Cre8r
I guess I should have thought to check the power supply. I will check when I return home and let you know the results. Thanks,Joe

#5 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

I checked the power supply. It appears to be putting out @ 6 volts. I would assume that is about half of what it should be according to the label. I do not hear any high pitched sound though. So I guess that the power supply is bad. Would you agree ? Or is there anything else that I need to check ? Thanks Joe

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:09 AM

FWIW: Is It My Power Supply - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/169618/is-it-my-power-supply/. See post by Sneakycyber re procedures for testing.

Louis

#7 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:08 PM

hamluis,Thanks. I followed the guide. It appears that the power supply is working properly. The fans and hdd's power up when the mother board is hooked back up. but that's as far as it goes. Power light stays out.Any other suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users