Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two versions of IE8 installed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mileskova

mileskova

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:19 AM

I installed my Windows 7 yesterday (64 bit version with a clean install) and I've noticed something strange.

I have two IE8 shortcuts in the start menu and when I looked further I see that one of them is 64 bit and the other is (x86). Why is this and do I need them both.

I also notoce that I seem to have two program file folders, one of which is called Program Files (x86) and the other is just Program Files. IE8 is in both of these folders.

Why are programs split between these folders.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:53 AM

One of them is 32bit IE (x86) and other is 64 bit version.
The 32bit version is provided because some IE addons (toolbars, plugins etc) are not compatible with 64 bit IE. In that case you can use 32bit IE, else use 64 bit IE.

Similarly, the Program Files(x86) is for 32bit programs (used when you install a 32 bit program), and other one for 64 bit software.
You will also find 2 system folders C:\Windows\System32 for 64 bit drivers and libraries. And C:\Windows\SysWOW64 for 32bit drivers etc.
In Registry also there are separate sections for many things for both 32bit and 64 bit programs.

The reason for this is because 64 bit Windows uses WOW system to run 32 bit programs and therefore MS thought it would be better to keep them separate.

#3 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:20 PM

an example of things that will NOT work in 64bit IE are flash items. You'll have to use 32bit ... or Firefox (which right now is only 32bit)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users