Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

eternally restarting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 troytucker

troytucker

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:56 AM

Hi,

Hopefully I've found the right place for this as I think I might have a couple of issues.
First of all my computer won't stop restarting. I tried to start it in safe mode once, and now no matter if I click to start in "safe mode" or "normal" or "last good session", my computer reboots and starts the process over again. If I'm booting in safe mode everything loads up to and including mup.sys.
I've tried running the recovery cd and ran chkdsk, which said that it fixed something but I'm still having the problem. I've also followed some steps on fixing/replacing kernel32.dll and that didn't work either.
I'm not too familiar with this side of computers, but I'd like to learn.

A helpful thing to know may be the reason why I was trying to start in safe mode. I found myself with the Antispy Protector 2009 virus (and who knows what else), and was not able to open up any of my antivirus (avg), antimalware (malwarebytes), or adaware.

If you can help me out I would really appreciate it. It drives me nuts when I can't fix something! And again, I'm no expert at this. I've just been following a few tips I found online, so if you could take it easy on me lingo-wise I would appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!

troy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:22 AM

Hello :thumbsup:.

Looks like trouble...please read the initial post by Grinler at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/249117/antispy-protector-2009-rootkit-big-trouble/.

I will now request that this post be moved (by BC staff) to one of our malware forums, where you can receive the assistance you need.

From this point on, take all instructions from personnel within one of the malware forums.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

First let me say that the best and recommended fix is a clean install without backing up anything when dealing with rootkit infections
Before you can do anything you will need to get it to stop the reboot loop
Can you in any way access Task Manager?
It is possible the boot.ini is damaged
rebuilding the boot.ini file using the bootcfg program.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm
========================================

Another thing to try is vipre rescue disk

http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 troytucker

troytucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the help Mark.

As far as I know I can't access task manager. I can't access anything because I can't even get to the login screen.

I followed the steps to rebuild the boot.ini but I received the following error:

"Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors."

So I ran chkdsk again (for the 3rd time. The first time it said that it had fixed errors or something like that, but hasn't mentioned anything the next two times.).

Then I went through and followed the boot.ini rebuilding steps again but got the same error as the first time.

I checked out VIPRE rescue too, but I would think I would need to be logged on to run it. I can't even start in safe mode.

Thanks a lot for helping me work on this. I really appreciate it!

Troy

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

I would think I would need to be logged on to run it

I believe the rescue disk is a bootable disk
You would need to enter the BIOS and change the boot device order to the CD drive being the first boot device

Edited by garmanma, 23 October 2009 - 07:05 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 troytucker

troytucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:03 AM

Hey,

I'm able to boot from the disk and get to the recovery console. I don't think I can get to task manager.

Any ideas if I'm going to be able to rescue this thing, or am I going to lose all of my data (I'm learning my lesson about backing-up files...)?

Thanks

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:08 PM

You should not lose anything rebuilding the boot.ini file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

When you can get it to quit relooping I have a new tool to try

Edited by garmanma, 24 October 2009 - 07:10 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users