Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Programs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:22 AM

I'm trying to trim down in more ways than one :thumbsup: Specifically with regards to my start up programs list. I have Adobe Acrobat 7.0 and when it installs/updates it sets itself up by default in the startup list. This seems to be a pretty big program and I assume also a resource hog. I was wondering if I could get it out of my startup list? Or is this not recommended?

If the answer is yes, does Windows open it automatically when I click on a document requiring it? Or do I have to navigate to the folder and open Adobe Acrobat myself?

If removal from the startup list sounds ok, can I just uncheck it in Spybot S&D startup list, or should I do it in Windows? How exactly should I remove it properly from the startup list?

Edited by buttoni, 01 August 2005 - 09:24 AM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jadag

jadag

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:12 PM

Hi Rose, :thumbsup:

1. Yes, you can definately remove it from your startup group. :flowers:

2. When Adobe is first installed, it "associates" itself with all files having a *.pdf extension, so, yes it should automatically launch when you click on the document.
HOWEVER, if it doesn't, you can go to My Computer/View/ Folder Options/File Types and set it up to do so. :trumpet:

3. You can remove it through Spybot or by typing msconfig in START menu/Run. When Msconfig starts, just go to the "Start" tab and unclick it.

4. As for any other "trimming dowm" ... sigh :inlove: to the club! (walks off mumbling to self "10 pounds! .... 10 STUPID POUNDS!!!):cool:
Jadag (Montreal, Canada)

"If you know you're going to lose - lose quickly!"

#3 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:51 PM

Thanks, Jadag. Wish the other "trimming down were so easy".
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:30 PM

I myself prefer to use the Spybot tool do manage my start ups. It is easier to read and gives slightly more information.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:19 PM

I did it in Spybot. Rebooted and all appears to be OK. Rarely call up documents that seem to require it, so could see no need for it to be running at startup. Thanks to both of you for your help.

#6 jadag

jadag

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:24 AM

jgweed, you are right. Spybot is definately better. The only thing I don't like about it on my "steam-driven" 90's machine (40mb RAM, Pentium 0) is that SB takes too long to launch. :thumbsup:

For a "quicky" operation like this I use msconfig because it launches instantly.

An Aside: I use an IBM Thinkpad 365XD which can only be upgraded to 40Mb max. :flowers:

Anyway, glad to be of help Rose :trumpet:
Jadag (Montreal, Canada)

#7 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:56 PM

To update, I downloaded a Windows XP Tweaks Guide to my desktop to read. It requires Adobe Reader. When I clicked on the file, Adobe opened it up fine. So Adobe really doesn't need to load at startup program. Wonder why it installs this way?

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:28 PM

Many programs like to run in the background so when you click to open them, they open right away (it makes customers HAPPY). If you constantly use a application during the day, this can be a good feature.
There is a trade-off, of course. First, your initial boot takes longer (all those applications need to do their initialisation) as does your log-off(each takes a little time to close itself). Second, each that runs in the background will take a little processing power; one or two may be almost unnoticeable, but having many applications churning along, or in idle, can sometimes make your computer seem sluggish.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:17 PM

You don't have to use another program or msconfig to stop this program from starting with Windows.

All you have to do is just go to the Start button --> All Programs --> Startup folder and remove or delete the start up shortcut Adobe places in this folder.

For those who may not know this, the Startup folder allows you to have almost any program you have on your computer to run at Windows start. There is both an all users startup folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) and one for each individual user (C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) on the computer and when you look at the folder in All Programs you are looking at the combined contents from both of these folders. Simply copy a programs shortcut into the folder you wish to use (All Users for everybody, your user folder for just you) and it should run at start up for the desired user(s). In some cases you may have to create your own shortcut from the programs exe file to get it to work otherwise any shortcut should do the job. This is how the Adobe Reader handles its start up. If you remove the Adobe shortcut from the Start Up folder it will no longer load at boot up.

By the same token, if you no longer wish a program whose shortcut is inside this folder to run at startup, just remove or delete the shortcut from this folder.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#10 jadag

jadag

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:16 AM

Hmm ... I'm not sure about that. :thumbsup:

Perhaps my W98SE is different from your Windows version, but not all of my "startup" programs are launched by the START folder in "Programs" section as you described. Some are started by registry "RUN" keys.

For instance, I have 9 items showing in msconfig but only 2 of them are in my START folder.

Using a Startup utility called StartEd (http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_charisma_page=index) I see that they are launched as follows:

2 by CURRENT USER RUN
5 by DEFAULT USER RUN
1 by LOCAL MACHINE RUN
1 by LOCAL MACHINE SERVICES and only
2 by START UP

... or did MS change things after W98SE? :flowers:
Jadag (Montreal, Canada)

#11 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:04 PM

I believe you have mis-interpreted my post. I did not say that every program and service that starts with Windows is located inside this folder. I said that this is how the Adobe Reader starts the entry in question and to stop the Adobe Reader from running at start up, all you have to is delete its shortcut from this folder. No third party software, registry editing or msconfig needed to stop Adobe from running at start up.

I then went on to explain for people who may not know this that they have the ability to start almost any program they own at start up by placing a shortcut for the program inside these folders. Is Outlook the first program everybody on your computer uses each time they turn on the computer? Copy its shortcut into the All Users startup folder and Outlook opens automatically for everybody at boot up. Or do you go to irfanview all the time while no one else does? Then copy the irfanview shortcut into the your user name startup folder and it will open at start only for you.

The startup folders are useful tools that many people may find useful but they do not know about or understand how to use and I took the opportunity to explain their existence and use to everybody.
There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users