Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware.Trace found by MBAM, reappears after every reboot

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 phayce

phayce

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

Yesterday while I was looking at mmo gaming sites and cnn.com ( I don't remember which I was looking at when it popped up), avg popped up an alert for trojan.generic.s15(I think). I proceeded to run avg, followed by mbam, followed by spybot, removing alot of entries. I restarted and when it came back, the same alert from avg popped up. I unhooked my computer from it's cable connection and reran avg, mbam and spybot, removing what seemed to be the same entries. When it came back, I ran all three programs again and only mbam came back with malware.trace in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\wiaserva.log. I removed it with mbam and restarted and ran the three programs yet again and mbam came back with the same file. I then tried to reboot into safe mode and ran spybot and mbam again, this time they did not come back with anything. I had looked up that file on google and saw that some people had success using Dr. Web Cure It.

It was fairly late in the night at that point, so when the system rebooted back to normal mode, I rehooked the cable connection back into the computer and went to the download link for Dr Web and downloaded it to my desktop. While I did that, my computer seemed to stall for a second and then I was inundated with advertisements and new icons for programs at the lower left side of the screen, on the start menu bar(by the clock, though I don't remember off the top of my head what that area is called.). They were all for "Security Tools" program, though the advertisements were unable to spell authorized correctly.

I unhooked my computer from my inet connection as soon as it was done downloading again and reran spybot, avg and mbam. I then rebooted into safe mode and ran spybot, mbam and then dr web. dr web ran it's quick scan, moving a couple of new files and then I ran it's full scan overnight. It found two more during that time and deleted them.

In the morning, I rebooted back to normal mode and ran spybot, mbam and avg...with mbam coming back with malware.trace in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\wiaserva.log. I haven't done anything beyond that time, I am truly at a loss of what to do and any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: My system is Windows XP, SP3

Edited by phayce, 22 October 2009 - 11:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users