Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

multiple programs crashing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lizzy0921

lizzy0921

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:39 PM

I have a Gateway and am running XP SP3. I have recently started using Firefox. Everythings been going smoothly (well as smoothly as a gateway system will let you run) until today. This morning after booting my system up, I started getting error messages from 6 different programs that read (for example)

IMSafer Child Protection Client has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I am also getting these messages with

Zone Alarm ForceField
CWSVC.exe
Apple Mobile Device Service
MCRD Device Service
Motorola Phone Service Application

I have run SpyBot, Zone Alarm Anti-Virus, have completed a disk checker and defrag, and have even gone into msconfig to turn off all startup programs thinking perhaps that had something to do with it.

Today I did install NetNanny. I tried to uninstall it but get a similar message that says Setup/Uninstall has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Liz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

It appears that some of system DLL files have become corrupted.
Insert your Windows XP CD in your cd drive. Open StartMenu > Run and type SFC /SCANNOW. This would restore original DLLs if it finds any one of them corrupted.

#3 lizzy0921

lizzy0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

Hi...I have run SFC /SCANNOW however I am being asked to insert disc 2 of MS XP Professional. I only have 1 disk. It also says that the version I am running is not the same as on the disc. Yeah thats right since I have upgraded the program on the Windows site.

Any ideas?

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Liz

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

Strange, I have never seen Windows ask disk #2.
Can you do a System Restore? Read this article on how to perform a System Restore : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

#5 lizzy0921

lizzy0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:46 PM

I have tried my XP disk and then the GATEWAY XP disc to restore the operating system. After trying each I still get the same message to insert XP Professional disk 2...

So then I tried System Restore. So far it hasn't worked. The system just rebooted and I already have gotten those 6 errors. I am going to try and restore it further back and see if that works. If not, anything else up your sleeve??

Liz

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:12 AM

I'm kind of confused...you have a Microsoft XP Pro CD...and a Gateway set/disk for installing XP Pro?

Since you have a Gateway...the Disk 2 referred to must be one of the disks they provided with purchase of the system.

The sfc /scannow command normally assumes that the user has a MS XP CD and is not using disks provided by manufacturers such as Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.

Worth a look, http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...rvice-pack.html

If you tried to run sfc /scannow with a CD that does not include SP3...that may be the reason for the request.

FWIW: How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

#7 lizzy0921

lizzy0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

Yes I have both CDs...for some reason I was sent both. I am unable to get on the net. Whatever is wrong with my computer is making every program I try to run give me that same error message that I listed earlier on. I have downloaded the RegCure program on my laptop and placed it in my shared file on my network and installed that on my desktop. Unfortunately that program too is now giving me that error message so I am unable to use it. I am thinking I am going to be forced to reformat...UGH...First I am trying to run SFC.exe /SCANNOW with the operating program disc Gateway sent me.

I'll let you know what happens later on.

Thanks for your help!

Liz

#8 lizzy0921

lizzy0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

Hello,

Tried running SFC.exe /SCANNOW but get the same results as before ~ system asking me to insert the 2nd disk of XP professional (there is no 2nd disk). Does anyone else have anything up their sleeves that I can try before I am forced to format C:

Liz

#9 lizzy0921

lizzy0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:08 PM

Was reading other posts with issues about XP SP3 and am wondering if a "repair install of XP" would work. If so, how do I complete that?

Thanks again,

Liz

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

Well...to do a repair install, certain conditions must be met. First and foremost, these procedures do NOT apply to recovery/restore CDs...they are written developed to be implemented by a user possessing a valid license to install/use a given edition of XP and having access to a Microsoft Genuine Windws XP CD.

a. The CD used for the repair install must reflect the same SP as the O/S. If you have SP3 installed on your system, SP3 must be included in the CD used for the repair effort.

b. The CD must reflect the same version of XP as is installed. Cannot use a Pro CD to repair XP Home or vice versa. Cannot use a Home CD to repair Media Center Edition versions. And so on...

c. To create an updated XP CD, it's pretty easy. There is a tool called nLite which makes it a "by the numbers" drill.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

nLite - Deployment Tool for Unattended Windows - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/index.html

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

<<Was reading other posts with issues about XP SP3...>>

I guess I'm wondering why you wrote that...I don't see any issues that you've outlined...which are related at all to installation of SP3.

Louis

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:02 PM

Interesting thread re sfc /scannow and certain systems, http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:lQPP6W...=clnk&gl=us

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users