Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 johnnycashish

johnnycashish

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:37 PM

Hello! I hope someone can assist me with .NET Framework. I’d like to have it installed on my computer and I’m having all sorts of problems.

I have a Dell Dimension 8400, Intel Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM. I had a clean (and successful) install of Windows XP (SP3) – fresh hard drive; the whole deal. During my installation of various drivers, I installed .NET Framework 2.0, SP1, SP2 and SP3. I had no idea what .NET Framework was and I was afraid it would slow down my computer so I tried to uninstall it via the “Add/Remove Software” function in my Control Panel.

Supposedly I was successful in my uninstall of all 3 files but when I rebooted I saw (and still see) .NET 2.0 Framework SP2 still populated in the “Add/Remove Software” list. When I try to remove it (again), I get an error message: “The patch package couldn’t be opened. Verify the patch still exists and that you can access it or contact the application vendor to verify this is a valid Windows Installer patch package”.

Now I’m in a situation where I want to install .NET Framework (2.0? 3.0? 3.5?). I have downloaded 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 directly from Microsoft (through the download area as well as through Windows Updater). When I use Windows Updater, it starts out OK:

Initializing installation... done!
Installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86 (update 1 of 1)...

But then I get a “Following Update could not be installed” message. It downloads OK but it can’t get installed. Same for this .NET update:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417) – Failed.

I downloaded 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 and I manually try to install them. I got failed installs each time. This was listed as part of the error file header:

EventType : wap10setup P1 : 13855 P2 : 3.0.04506.30_waprtm_x86_sfx
P3 : mc P4 : inst P5 : f
P6 : system.servicemodel.washosting_version=_3.0.0 P7 : 0x80004005
P8 : 1603 P9 : createassemblycache P10 : windows communic

I am posting the VSSWMSIFailInfo log file. I also have a VSSWMSISummary log but it was too large to upload.

Can someone help me out? I want to get .NET Framework installed and I have no idea how to do it. I assume the issue has something to do with an “unclean” uninstall of 2.0 the first time around. If anyone can lend me a hand, let me know.

I’ve also installed way too many drivers since I uninstalled .NET Framework so rolling back my machine is not an option. Thanks in advance!!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:49 PM

I suggest uninstalling everything currently reflected in Add/Remove Programs as MS.NET or any updates.

Reboot.

Then download and install just this one, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en.

Some users have reported problems with uninstalling prior versions via Add/Remove...but they found success by using Revo Uninstaller and such utilities.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users