Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word documents

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oldsoldier

oldsoldier

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:57 AM

Dear Sir/Madam

WindowsXP SP 2
Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Professional
Ad-Aware SE Personal
SpyBot S&D 1.4
AVG Anti-Virus 7.0
Kerio Professional Firewall
SpywareBlaster 3.4
SpywareGuard 2.2
DiamondCS ProcessGuard 3.150
DiamondCS TDS-3
DiamondCS Port Explorer 2.000
CCleaner
Registry Mechanic

A peculiar event is happening in my computer. I had not had a DiamondCS TDS-3 update for at least a week. When I looked at TDS-3 HELP I saw that the security programme had been terminated. As compensation, all licensed operators of TDS-3 are being offered a ‘free’ download of the DiamondCS ProcessGuard security programme, so I emailed DiamondCS and accepted.

This is the offer -

>FREE SOFTWARE offer to TDS3 registered users
We encourage all TDS3 registered users to take advantage of our new special offer! Yes we're giving away FREE licenses to your choice of our award-winning Port Explorer or ProcessGuard. If you already own both of those we'll even create a key for a friend of your choice! Simply email sales@diamondcs.com.au, and include your registration name, registration email address, and TDS3 keyfile (tds3.kf) for cross-reference authentication.<

Before I emailed DiamondCS to accept, I copied and pasted their offer into a new Word document. That is my normal practice. I always copy and paste into a new Word document, and then copy and paste what I have copied and pasted, from the Word document into an email, if I wish to draw someone’s attention to something.

This message to you is being created in a new Word document. When it is complete and I am satisfied with it, it will be copied and pasted into an appropriate place in the Bleeping Computer discussion forum, and sent.

The acceptance email was sent to DiamondCS. ProcessGuard has been downloaded and installed. But now when I create a new Word document, anywhere, that diamondCS offer, as shown above, is in it. And I mean in every Word document, no matter where it is created. I have hundreds of folders containing existing Word documents, and if I create and open a new Word document in any of those folders, the copied and pasted Diamondcs offer is there.

Should I ignore what is happening ? Should I simply delete the offending script when I open a new Word document, and carry as though nothing is amiss ? Or is there a way I can kill that DiamondCS script, once and for all ?

Yours sincerely, oldsoldier

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:00 PM

You have turned the document into the default template for a new document, so each time you want to create a new doc, the text is already there. You can fix this problem by finding the following file and deleting it (it is probably in the template file for Office):

normal.dot

When you next launch Word, the file will be recreated to its default.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 oldsoldier

oldsoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for replying.

The file normal.dot is not in Microsoft Office.

Microsoft Office contains Clipart; Office; Templates.

Templates contains 1033; Business Planner Templates; Presentatiion Designs.

I have searched manually and with the Start/search facility.

The file normal.dot is absent.

oldsoldier

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 07:41 PM

I believe 1033 is the normal.dot you are looking for.

Additional info from:
http://www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm#NormalDot

The location of the normal.dot file that Word is looking for can be found by opening Word, and using Tools-Options, File locations tab. Double-click User templates. The location is in the lower area of the window under Folder name. If you're unable to see the whole path, hit your Home key on the keyboard.

You may have settings in your normal.dot that you would like to keep, such as customized toolbars and macros, while getting rid of normal.dot may be necessary due to corruption. So, instead of deleting normal.dot, it is recommended that you rename it to abnormal.dot or normal1.dot. Then, you can use the Organizer to copy such things as macros and toolbars from the old template to the new one.

For more information on normal.dot, how to find it and Word 2000, see the MS Technet Article at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q214/2/15.ASP.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 August 2005 - 07:42 PM.

#5 oldsoldier

oldsoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:30 PM

I have followed your instructions and there is still a problem.

I created and opened a new Word document > tools > options > file locations > double clicked 'user templates' - tapped the Home key.

Normal.dot does not appear. The address ends with Application Data. If normal.dot is there, it is hidden.

So, I went to My Computer > Local Disc [C] > Documents and Settings > Administator > Application Data > Microsoft > Templates.

When I clicked Templates, it opened with a folder called Business Planning Templates AND a file called normal.

Not normal.dot.

Just normal

Should I delete the file called normal ?

Or should I type > .dot < at the end of it ?

When I double click the file >normal<, it opens as a new Word document and it has the offending script.

Thanks for helping.

oldsoldier.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:20 PM

Instead of deleting the file named "normal", just change its name to something else - maybe "abnormal".

That way if it creates a problem it will be easy to fix by just renaming it again, or, just removing the offending script from it and saving it may fix the problem as well.

Either way Windows recognizes that it is a .dot if its in that file so don't add another file extention.

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 August 2005 - 04:23 PM.

#7 oldsoldier

oldsoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:19 AM

Problem solved. I followed your advice and changed normal to abnormal. New Word documents do not have the offending script.

Thanks very much. You ARE amazing people.

oldsoldier

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

You are welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users