Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant connect ot the interner - vista problem ?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Sav

Andy Sav

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

hello everyone.

im trying to fix my mates laptop but ive come across a problem ive never seen before - it wont connect to the internet either wirelessly or hard wired and ive noticed on the internet icon on the desktop near the clock it has a blue globe in the middle of the connection icon.

im thinking this is the probelm why it wont connect but i dont know how to get rid of the blue globe to see if this is the problem.

hope you guys can help ?

many thanks

p.s. ive just noticed ive spelt the topic wrong - sorry im not normally that dumb :huh:

Edited by Andy Sav, 22 October 2009 - 02:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andy Sav

Andy Sav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

also if it helps ive done a system restore to a previous point incase he has added anything that might have conflicted with his network adaptor or wireless.

cheers

#3 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

What OS is the comp running !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#4 Andy Sav

Andy Sav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:45 PM

also if it helps ive done a system restore to a previous point incase he has added anything that might have conflicted with his network adaptor or wireless.

cheers

hello mate.

its running vista Home premium

thanks

#5 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:58 PM

Have you checked your services ! Click start type in services.msc and make sure your dns client is switched to started automatic !

Edited by doinmeedin, 22 October 2009 - 05:00 PM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#6 Andy Sav

Andy Sav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

cheers

hello mate.

thanks

no mate vista is a bit new to me as im still on xp on my system but said to my mate i would take a look so any help on this would be great.

is it normal for the network connection icon on the taskbar to have a globe inbetween the to computer monitors that represent the netowrk being active?

#7 Andy Sav

Andy Sav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

cheers

hello mate.

thanks

ive just done the above and it is indeed set to automatic mate.

#8 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

Yes the blue globe is normal ! If you need to do a full check of all services and how they should be running i:e started / started automatic and so on check this link out http://www.blackviper.com/ and you can check all !

Edited by doinmeedin, 22 October 2009 - 05:09 PM.

#9 Andy Sav

Andy Sav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

Yes the blue globe is normal !

aaah good - im really at a loss why it wont connect to the internet then.

#10 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

As i said Click start type in services.msc and make sure your dns client is switched to started automatic !

#11 Andy Sav

Andy Sav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:13 PM

As i said Click start type in services.msc and make sure your dns client is switched to started automatic !

i have done and it is set to automatic mate.

#12 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:19 PM

Also click on the two comps with the blue globe, thats left click and it says, connect to a network and network and sharing center click on connect to a network and follow instructions in fact it should start trying to do it itself !

#13 Andy Sav

Andy Sav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:22 PM

Also click on the two comps with the blue globe, thats left click and it says, connect to a network and network and sharing center click on connect to a network and follow instructions in fact it should start trying to do it itself !

yeh i did that mate and it connects to my router ok and the signal is excellent but when i try to open a web page its "page cannot be displayed"

#14 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

What FW or AV is it running and are they configured properly to allow internet access ! Also have you tried emptying all the temp files and folders from the browser and the comp !

Edited by doinmeedin, 22 October 2009 - 05:25 PM.

#15 Andy Sav

Andy Sav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

What FW or AV is it running and are they configured properly to allow internet access !

whilst im trying to get it connected ive disabled the FW and AV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users