Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AlphaDawg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:19 AM

I can not change my IE 6.0 Home Page from the current setting of Yahoo.com.
I have a Compaq Presario 6000 with Windows XP Home, SP2, (All Updates installed)
Spyware & Virus software installed includes: (All Updates installed)
Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta
Search and Destroy
Pest Patrol
BHO Demon
Registry Mechanic
Trend Micro Anti Spyware (Includes CWShredder)

ONLY Microsoft Anti Spyware detects the following Browser Hijacker.

However, although Microsoft Anti Spyware detects the Hijacker it will NOT delete it. The program states that the Hijacker has been deleted, but after running the program and rebooting, I still am unable to change the Home Page. And the next time I run the Anti Spyware program it detects the same hijacker again.
I have run Hijackthis but did not see anything unusual.
I have checked the registry (as per MS KB 256986) found the the Hijacker and deleted it but it keeps coming back.
I have followed steps in MS KB 310353, which corrected the problem UNTIL I re-booted. Then I had the same problem.
Frankly, I am stumped. Any suggestions other than re-installing Windows?
How do I remove the Hijacker and change the Internet Explorer 6.0 Home Page?

Bill Reitz
(moderator edit: Email address removed to prevent its harvesting by spambots. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 01 August 2005 - 02:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:26 PM

Windows ME and XP utilize a restore utility that backs up selected files automatically to the C:\_Restore folder. This means that an infected file could be stored there as a backup file, and VirusScan will be unable to delete these files. You must disable the System Restore Utility to remove the infected files from the C:\_Restore folder.
How to disable

You can also read Defending your machine
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users