Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.Net framework

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

Just starting too learn VB and the book tried to explain what the .Net framework really is. However, they made it seem like it does everything, but it does nothing...

Can some one clarify what it does?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

Your .NET programs are compiled into an intermediate code -- Microsoft Intermediate Language (later renamed Common Intermediate Language). The framework is able to execute that middle language to which your program is compiled.

For more info, see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Language_Infrastructure

The framework provides the Common Language Runtime -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Language_Runtime

Additionally, the framework comes with a bunch of built in libraries you can use -- crypto, internet access, etc, which are accessible to your Common Language Runtime programs.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

Hmm, not quite sure I get it.

So the .NET frameworks purpose is too process the code into lower level language on its way too basic binary?

If so, then whats the extra libraries like internet access for?

Don't think I'm getting it. =\
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

So the .NET frameworks purpose is too process the code into lower level language on its way too basic binary?

Yes. The .NET languages to not compile to machine executable code.

If so, then whats the extra libraries like internet access for?

They're just there to help the programmer. Much easier than writing everything yourself.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:40 PM

To put it another way,. the .net framework is the layer on which other applications run, whether it be C#, C++, Visual Basic, WPF, ASP, etc. The .net framework takes the different types of codes and compiles them into an app that runs on a Windows system. .Net manages libraries and resources necessary for applications to run. The framework includes libraries that programmers can leverage to write more compact code.

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

So .NET is more like a universal compiler?

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:00 PM

Nope. .NET is a Just-In-Time compiler for CIL. It's not universal -- C# and VB.NET compile down to CIL. .NET then executes it.

Billy3
Posted Image

#8 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:26 PM

Oooh now I'm sortah starting too get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users