Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake Ad-Ware (Lavasoft)?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:19 PM

My friend gave me his old laptop; He got a new one.

He had no problems with it, or so he said. Maybe he thought the computer sucked.
( In all honesty it's a decent computer for chatting/surfing. 1 GB ram, 256 MB integrated graphics card, dual 1.8 GHZ. )

Well, I downloaded Tune up and Advanced Windows Care.
I also installed Avast ( I have the full professional version. )
Ran some scans, removed some programs, etc etc.

After clearing up several dozen programs, changing the settings, and etc.

DEP closed avast while I was trying to scan the computer, I put it on the exception/ignore list and it still closed it after reboot.
DEP closed TuneUp 1-Clock Maintenance.
DEP closed AVG. ( It was on the computer when I got it, just tried to run a quick test. )

Well, Ad-Aware (From Lavasoft.) uninstalltion freezes upon " Computing space requirements ".
I removed the Lavasoft folders from the registry, after a failed attempt to delete the folder.
( It hangs at " Preparing to delete." )
When I try to access the Lavasoft folder it brings up a window " C: drive is not formatted. Would you like to format? Yes/ No. "

How can I fix this if my anti-virus is being blocked?

EDIT:
Also, iexplorer.exe has been hi-jacked, I can't access windows update, and it says it's open in process manager even though no window is visable.
I replaced the iexplorer.exe with a fake one for now.
( Possibly no-lop advertising infection? )

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 22 October 2009 - 12:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:37 PM

Well. After a ton of searching I found a way to stop DEP from closing my anti virus. As we speak I have the lap-top scanning the drives. It definitely wasn't ad-AWARE.

There were no files in there. Or so properties said..
I have no idea what the computer is infected with but I can barely run any programs. And it deleted Windows Update. I can't even go to the windows update site without getting the window automatically close. If I go to any anti virus sites it closes the window. ( On firefox. )

It even ends the IE8 installtion setup.

It's IE7. But anyway, if the problem still continues after the scan, I'll just have to format the computer and install a clean slate of windows XP.

I'll keep this post updated with the infected files, and what the file(s) is/are infected with. just incase someone can help sort things out with me if it is infected.

EDIT:
Well. The system shut down at 51%.
No infected files found..
I did a boot scan and it shut down at 51% again.

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 25 October 2009 - 08:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users