Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem reports 250 problems and cannot do a system restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Feeski

Feeski

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Windows Vista Servie Pack 2

I have had this laptop just over a year and have had nothing but problems from day one. It has crashed a thousand times and I have already done one clean reinstall last year. It has recently had a trojan which was fixed through this website. You can see what was done here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/255291/infected-with-trdldragentcikx/

Since then it has crashed again a good few times, all different stop errors. I had to switch off the screen saver as that was making it crash. Internet Explorer is version 8. I much prefer Firefox, but took it off during malware fixing. IE stops working a lot. Recent problem report reported 300 or so problems, got that down to 250 by updating Skype and installing new chipset from Intel via the Dell website. I am really unsure about downloading drivers not from them although I keep getting given solutions that involve doing this from other websites. The other problem is that I cannot backup on to the D: drive. Every back-up attempt fails, it seems to be very full. I know there is a lot here, I don't know where to start either. It also did an interesting thing today of simply freezing with lots of back chunky lines all over the screen. Switched off and restarted and it has been fine, but I have never seen anything like it before.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

hi,,, as you say this pc has been faulty from day 1,,, i would consider sending it back and asking for a replacement,,,, in the uk a standard warranty lasts around 1 year,,,, but if it can be proved that the machine is not fit for purpose and that there is an inherent fault in the machine then your entitled to a replacement,,,, if there are similar consumer laws in the US then i would go down this route,,,, as you say a clean install never helped so at a guess its probably a faulty motherboard,,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Feeski

Feeski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the quick reply...

What I should have mentioned was that shortly after getting the laptop, I came to work overseas in South Korea. As I didn't have an international warrently and after many, many chats with Dell and the clean reinstall etc...it just basically turned out that they wouldn't help me. As I was doing a Master's course at the time I couldn't give up the computer and now I guess the warranty has run out.

If this is a hardware problem should I go to that forum or try and find out how to have the motherboard replaced...? Hardware is well beyond my capablilites.

It has already crashed twice in the last 24 hours, both 0x08E stops with 'drgkrnl....' appearing...didn't quite catch everything. One of my friends also had a Vista machine and he was the one who advised to persevere as he said his crashed all the time too at first, but then stabilised after about 6 months.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:48 AM

hi,,,,, as i see dell have dumped you,,,,, twats,,,, the bit about the mobo was pure guess work on my behalf,,,, but if it was a ram issue you would get beep codes and the pc would not start,,, psu issue the pc would be dead by now,,,, but first you need to do some check 2 things in vista will help you looking for issues,,,,,
event viewer type ,,,, event viewer,,,, into start menu search box and hit enter,,,, once in there look in critical,,, error and warning sections for things,,,, when something is found click on it for more info,,, then google for the names of the errors and codes to narrow down the culprit,,, this will take a bit of time and patience but its the only way,,,,,,,,, next is
performance monitor,,,, type in start menu,,,, reliability and performance monitor and hit enter again,,,
click on reliability monitor in the left hand side field,,,,, then on your pc there will be a lot of red and yellow crosses,,,, click on these and this will also give you info on whats going on,,,, google for all the bits you dont understand,,,,, collect as much info as you can and then post a full discription of whats going on back here,,,,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 Feeski

Feeski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:57 AM

Hi Figgis,

Ok, thanks for that infor. I will get on to all of that. It will take me a while though as I have had laser eye surgery recently and using a computer for any length of time is still a litle beyond me at the moment. Yeah, I have been told so many times that the computer should have died or blown up or soemthing, but it just crashes and then is fine.

Will get back as soon as I can...

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users