Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive replacement

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 j54ams

j54ams

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:32 AM

I'm helping a friend with replacing a hard drive. She has an HP Compaq Presario SR5013WM. She had run a registry cleaner that fried her hard drive. This was HP supports diagnosis after paying for support. Specs from Hp states the hard drive is 160 GB SATA 3G. I want to be sure I can install this drive, 320GB WD HARD DRIVE DISK 7200RPM HDD SERIAL ATA. It doesn't have the 3G transfer rate but does that matter?
Also, she got the Recovery Discs from HP since she didn't make them when she got the computer. Which the OS is Vista Home Basic. Can these discs be used to install the OS on this hard drive? She does have a legal XP OS she could use if that won't work. She would like the Vista back but we'll do what is necessary.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:00 PM

That hard drive should work and yes she can use her restore Cd's to get here computer back up and running. It will have the vista operating system and all of her drivers for the laptop.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:19 AM

Thanks. I'll try to remember to post back with the results when the job is completed.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:26 AM

Quote:
She had run a registry cleaner that fried her hard drive.

are you sure ?
is it that the OS does not work no more? or does the drive just has bad sectors or its just dead ?

#5 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

It is DEAD!!! Cannot boot the recovery disc at all. Can't access the diagnostics either. As I stated, HP support diagnosed that. Although, I know they are not always right.

#6 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

Replaced the hard drive and Recovery discs still did not work. Installed XP Pro after a minor change in bios to get XP to find the hard drive. But then, she couldn't get connected to the internet. Called ISP tech support and they said to take it to a shop to download the network adapter drivers after first telling me to do it when I couldn't connect in the first place. It is now sitting at the ISP's repair to see if they can get in running.
I suspect it really wasn't the hard drive. Black screen saying couldn't boot due to a recent software or hardware change and to insert disc. also said this file was missing or corrupt, c:\windows\system32\winload.exe. But nothing would get the computer to bring up the recovery discs. What could have done that? It would recognize the XP disc but not the Vista Recovery?? Since it wouldn't boot to the disc is why HP said the hard drive was fried.

Edited by j54ams, 27 October 2009 - 03:09 PM.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:50 PM

are you sure the recovery discs may not have been made properly. did you try them on another machine? since HP sent her the discs Im assuming their not system specific. as far as the drivers being concerned, all you would have had to do was download them onto another computer and transfer them across via USB flash drive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

The computer is still at the ISP and I can't do anything with it until tomorrow. She's afraid to try the disc in her other computer! I'll try that when I get there. One would think HP would send the correct disc after a customer pays for them!
How do you know which drivers to download? Go to the motherboard manufacturer website? I tried googling them and didn't come up with anything. Thanks for the help! Greatly appreciated from all!

#9 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:04 AM

It is DEAD!!! Cannot boot the recovery disc at all. Can't access the diagnostics either. As I stated, HP support diagnosed that. Although, I know they are not always right.

is the recovery disc a CD ?
if so then maybe you have not told the motherboard(bios) to boot cd/dvd
It would recognize the XP disc but not the Vista Recovery?? Since it wouldn't boot to the disc is why HP said the hard drive was fried.

xp disc is a cd , vista is a dvd disc
does this computer have a working dvd drive
also just because a cd/dvd wont boot does not mean the hard drive is dead

also some of those older dvd rom drives could not read newer game dvds , so am guessing the same for vista

#10 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

All I can say is it is the standard Recovery discs that HP sent her, don't know if they are cd or dvd. Just assumed that it was cd. The bios was set to boot from the cd/dvd drive. (yes, it reads both.) The computer was 2.5 years old. It would come up th a black screen saying a hardware or software conflict caused it to not boot properly and to insert vista disc. Also had missing or corrupt file c:\windows\system32\winload.exe. Hp said to insert recovery disc and reboot. When it came back up, it would have black screen with cursor in top left corner for a short time then go to screen previously described. They had me try a few other things but never got it to boot to the disc. Thus, saying hard drive is fried. Did try the discs in another computer as someone else suggested and it wouldn't boot there either. Anyways, it now has XP Pro loaded and is up and running. Would have been nice to have gotten Vista back but at least she's got something anyway. Thanks to all!

Edited by j54ams, 29 October 2009 - 07:55 PM.

#11 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:04 AM

The computer is still at the ISP and I can't do anything with it until tomorrow. She's afraid to try the disc in her other computer! I'll try that when I get there. One would think HP would send the correct disc after a customer pays for them!

if you payed for them then you should go and get your money back(unless there posting and cds were $1-10 then i would not bother)

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:34 AM

I have been monitoring this thread. There's only two options that come to mind. 1. The discs are bad or 2. The boot order wasn't changed in the bios to boot from the cd/dvd rom first. If you say that you tried them in another computer they still may not boot correctly since there supposed to be system specific it could cause a problem, however it should at least boot to the cd/dvd (IF the bios is set to boot from cd/dvd rom drive first). I would contact customer support and see if they will send you another set, as mentioned above.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#13 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:40 AM

Yes, I knew that had to be done and did it first thing.(boot sequence) Even checked several times to be sure!
Would it show up in the drive as being there in My Computer? If so, it didn't.

Edited by j54ams, 30 October 2009 - 05:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users