Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP, Clone harddrive Product Key dilemma, Please respond A.S.A.P

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kinguto

kinguto

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

I work at a Community College, outside of my job title, I also work on computers. There was a lab in such a bad condition(viruses, user downloaded software, corrupt files), I decided to wiped the lab and install their O.S. and additional software. I learned about creating images of one hardrive and passing it to other computers. There are 23 computers and the image I created was 13 GB in size(Windows XP, Microsoft Office, Adobe CS4 Master Collection, e.t.c.). I passed my image to each computer in that room and then updated their product using Microsoft product Key updater, but there were 4 computer that have their product key scratched off. I must mention these are Dell Precision 690s with OEM Windows XP, so I decided to installed everything by using the DEll Disc that comes with newly ordered computers. After 2 hrs of formatting and installing software(all besides Office and CS4), I went to Cnet and downloaded Windows Key Code Viewer, because I was curious about the product key, if it was different from each machine. When I compared it on each machine that I used the dell disc on, the product was the same, even though I used different discs. What I need to know now to save myself 4 or more hours, should I just pass the image to these machines since they will have the same product key no matter what.

Let me break it down short just in case I wasn't clear or just too long.

1) Students caused plenty of computer problems
2) I created a image of what each computer should be
3) I passed the image to every computer that had a product key NOT SCRATCHED OFF and then updated the Product Key using MS Product Key Updater and typed the P.Key off the computer
4) The 4 computers with their Product Key SCRATCHED OFF[ had Windows XP installed using the Product Key, but they show the same product key(Not the ones that came with the computer, I can see a few of the number on the computer but its too damaged) even though I used different discs
5) Now i'm stuck in place, should I continue with a 4 to 7 hours process of installing software that sometimes install wrong *cough* CS4 or should I pass the image that I already completed and will take less than 2 hours?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:43 AM

Well..if each of those systems is not exactly the same...I don't see how imaging would be effective (using just one image), even with a volume license covering all installs.

I'm assuming that this image includes drivers for a given system, I believe that's Dell's habit.

But I've never dealt with volume licenses or using imaging for mulitple computers (I'm just a home user of XP), so I just may not be understanding what takes place and how.

Louis

#3 kinguto

kinguto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:50 AM

Let me say this just incase I didn't mention this before, all the computers are the same model Dell Precision 690's

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:10 AM

You said that...that doesn't mean that they all have the same equipment, IME.

Dell usually offers several hardware configuration variations for a given designated system model...and there are such things as upgrades and hardware component replacements.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users