Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:20 AM
I work at a Community College, outside of my job title, I also work on computers. There was a lab in such a bad condition(viruses, user downloaded software, corrupt files), I decided to wiped the lab and install their O.S. and additional software. I learned about creating images of one hardrive and passing it to other computers. There are 23 computers and the image I created was 13 GB in size(Windows XP, Microsoft Office, Adobe CS4 Master Collection, e.t.c.). I passed my image to each computer in that room and then updated their product using Microsoft product Key updater, but there were 4 computer that have their product key scratched off. I must mention these are Dell Precision 690s with OEM Windows XP, so I decided to installed everything by using the DEll Disc that comes with newly ordered computers. After 2 hrs of formatting and installing software(all besides Office and CS4), I went to Cnet and downloaded Windows Key Code Viewer, because I was curious about the product key, if it was different from each machine. When I compared it on each machine that I used the dell disc on, the product was the same, even though I used different discs. What I need to know now to save myself 4 or more hours, should I just pass the image to these machines since they will have the same product key no matter what.
Let me break it down short just in case I wasn't clear or just too long.
1) Students caused plenty of computer problems
2) I created a image of what each computer should be
3) I passed the image to every computer that had a product key NOT SCRATCHED OFF and then updated the Product Key using MS Product Key Updater and typed the P.Key off the computer
4) The 4 computers with their Product Key SCRATCHED OFF[ had Windows XP installed using the Product Key, but they show the same product key(Not the ones that came with the computer, I can see a few of the number on the computer but its too damaged) even though I used different discs
5) Now i'm stuck in place, should I continue with a 4 to 7 hours process of installing software that sometimes install wrong *cough* CS4 or should I pass the image that I already completed and will take less than 2 hours?