Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC issues after upgrading graphics card...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Raimiette

Raimiette

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

Hopefully someone can help me on a bit of a problem I am having. I wanted to upgrade my graphics card (was a NVIDIA 8500) so I purchased a NVIDIA 200 GTS to replace it. I needed to buy a new power supply to support the new card (needed an output of 500W, old one was 350W).

I bought the new power supply and installed it. That went okay, the supply worked fine with my old video card and everything seemed to be in order. I received my new card (the 200 GTS) yesterday and stuck it in the slot my old card was in and now I have major issues.

My PC will not boot up and when turned on a beeping error plays. The error seems to be one short beep followed by one long beep, pause, short beep, long beep, pause and so on.

I couldnít figure out what I had done wrong so I took the new card out and put the old one back in but it still does the same error. It seems like it doesnít recognize either card at all.

I am hoping I didnít screw up my pc beyond all hope.

My PC is a HP m9150f. I unfortunately canít give you complete specs because I canít boot the computer up but hereís what little I do remember;

Windows Vista Premium

Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 core(s), 4 logical processors

RAM: 3GB

NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 256 MB (old now)

Sorry, I know thatís not much.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:58 PM

Two things I might check:

a. Card is properly connected (I'm assuming that it's PCI-e) to power supply.

b. You have disabled the onboard video in the BIOS...before trying to use the actual video card.

Sorry, but I don't even find data for a GTS 200 card...I find a series, but not a specific card.

As for the beep codes...you need to look up what your system is trying to tell you, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...=reg_R1002_CAEN.

Louis

#3 Zinus

Zinus

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

Actually it seems the problem may be the PSU since it's the only constant here; it may be worth trying to use your old gear and see what happens.

#4 Raimiette

Raimiette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:53 AM

Thanks kindly, it was a connection thing, one of my RAM modules was loose.

BUT I have a new issue now, still graphics card related.

I fixed that up and now no more beeps and the PC starts now but my monitor still doesn't recognize any of the graphics cards. Once again I thought it might have only been the new one but neither work. They donít seem to send out a signal. I've double checked the monitor and the monitor cords and they work fine on other computers so I know its got to be related to my PC somehow.

It sounds like my PC is booting up fine now, and all the fans (including the graphics card fan) seem to be working fine but there's just no signal. I donít see any other wires or anything that should be connected to the cards so I'm just confused now.

Iíve removed and replaced both cards several times now so I'm pretty sure (unless Im doing something really wrong) it's not a connection issue.

Any suggestions now?

EDIT: I should also mention the NEW card is a NVIDIA 250 GTS and the OLD one is a NVIDIA 8500 GT.

EDIT 2: I tried to see if I could get the monitor working through integrated graphics but it didn't work either. I did see though that when I plug the monitor in to either the integrated or the card the monitor does seem to recognize it's been plugged into something as it comes out of standby for just a couple seconds to say that it's going to sleep and then goes into standby again.

Edited by Raimiette, 23 October 2009 - 12:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users