Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Error loading OS"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MrFML

MrFML

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

This is my first post..

I have a toshiba laptop and i just put a new HDD in it. I go to boot from my XP CD and all i get is a black screen with " error loading operating system"

so I cant boot from CD. What do you think? I know the HDD is good BTW. I took it out my another computer of mine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

You probably need to go into BIOS and check the Boot Order. You should place the CD-rom ahead of the hard drive.

Most Motherboards require you hit the Delete key to enter BIOS at startup. Dell and HP will have you use a differet key. Could be F9, F12 or whatever. Watch the splash screen when it is first booting up.

I hope this helps.

DR

#3 MrFML

MrFML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:19 PM

I have already done this. I get no responce at all..

#4 MrFML

MrFML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:33 PM

what about the DVD player? could it be bad? ir could this have sometihng to do with the whole going from Vista to XP, currupt bios thing? i dont knwo if this computer had vista on it in the past or not..

#5 miltonhork

miltonhork

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:40 AM

The Error Loading Operating System error appears when your operating system fails to load properly. This error is localized to the Microsoft Windows XP .for this you have to reset the bios, change the boot order, boot xp cd, repartition, format, setup copies files, setup reboots.You will perhaps solve the problem.

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

What did you mean by "No response"? :trumpet:

Are you able to get into BIOS? Or not? :flowers:

Are you unable to change the Boot Order? :thumbsup:

What model Toshiba is this?

DR :inlove:

#7 MrFML

MrFML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:17 PM

ok So here is What i have found out.

When I changed my boot ouder and tried to boot from CD nothing happened. it went back to the screen that says error loading OS... I ended up taking the HDD out and hooking it up to my desktop and the HDD no longer works. This if what scares me because I Took the HDD from my desktop and put it in the lap top to start with. ( i had the lap top hdd as an extra in my desktop) so what scares me is that if i go and buy a new hdd.. will it currupt my new one?

#8 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

I ended up taking the HDD out and hooking it up to my desktop and the HDD no longer works.

When you say, it doesn't work, do you mean that you cannot access it or that it will not boot.

Unless the machines are identical, you can't expect it to be able to boot. The differences in hardware would be too great otherwise.

Can you get an old drive, just to see if it isn't the notebook that is damaging the hard drives?

How about the model number?

DR

#9 MrFML

MrFML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:18 AM

its a satellite A205

I had a brand new laptop HDD sitting around so I put it in my desktop just as some extra space. I hooked it up via SATA. What im wonding about is that It was working.. I formatted the HDD and then unhooked it and hooked it straight to the notebook. I dotn see how there was anytihng that I did that broke the HDD.. thats why im scared to go and buy a new one because what if i hook thisone up and it magicly breaks too..

#10 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:28 AM

You are missing the last for numbers in your model. It should read A205-xxxx. There are 83 different A205 models.

If the drive is a SATA drive, then you need to load the SATA drivers first, which should be available on their support site.

Check out their support page and see what you find.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...ad&sn=false

You might want to update the BIOS as well, if it is available.

DR

#11 MrFML

MrFML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:18 AM

well the problem now is that i have a currupt hdd... so yeah.. im thinking i might throw this lap top in the trash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users