Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C++ question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 St_Anger

St_Anger

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:34 AM

Hi. I am a bit confused about these different 'things' of C++

For example i use Dev-Cpp and when i start a new project, i get usual box asking me what *fill in this space* i want to start: console application, windows application, empty project, a static library, dll. Then on the 'multimedia' tab there is OpenGL, and the one in the middle which is 'Introduction' that just has the Hello World program in.

Please 'fill in this space' (if you get what i mean). Sorry, probably could've explained that all a bit better.

Also, some other things i am confuzzled about.

I compiled the default OpenGL project and it was just a rainbow coloured triangle/diamond type thing going round and round; what sort of program could be made/has been made in a OpenGL project?

Through my early stages of learning C++ i have begun to wonder, how and when i will be able to start incorporating some sort of GUI into my programs. I know that that is probably very advanced for the stage i am at, but at the moment everything i have been doing is in a command box (console application?).

I have tried to research this, so that i didn't have to bother people on here, but i couldn't find what i wanted. Thanks alot of clearing this up for me in advance,

St_Anger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:20 AM

Let's see if I can help a bit.

1) OpenGL is a language for rendering graphics. Apparently it worked, because you got a rotating triangle.

2) GUI is advanced. When I was learning Java, it was quite awhile after learning basic structures, reading the api's, etc, before GUI concepts were added in. Interfaces are sometimes difficult and lengthy. My Deitel and Deitel C++ into book doesn't even touch on GUI. If you think about it though, fancy graphics are not really necessary anyway, no matter what the needed input is.

I don't use Dev-Cpp, but I imagine that depending on whether you choose Windows applications or Command Console, it puts the necessary pre-processor instructions in the code for you (I'm just gessing here). As far as I am concerned, one is either creating a new project, or working on a new project. If you are just new, you are likely not to be doing .dlls or static libraries.

Does that help any?

#3 St_Anger

St_Anger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:25 PM

Thankyou very much, that helped out alot. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users