Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virusrl2009?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 carissa_lee_

carissa_lee_

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:32 AM

I posted here a year ago about the same malware/computer I'm asking about now, here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/173158/virus-response-2009/

I don't have any additional problems with it, however I do have a question. I was looking through some threads on here with suggestions on how to make your computer startup faster. One of them was to get into the startup configuration and disable unnecessary programs from running on startup. So I did, and I found this listed last under the startup tab (unchecked):

Startup Item: VirusRL2009
Command: C:\Program Files\VirusRL2009\VirusRL2009.exe

I don't know if that means it is still on the computer somewhere, or if that is just a random harmless leftover from the malware. I haven't been told of any issues since with this computer, although I don't get on it too often as it isn't my laptop, it's my dad's. He was complaining about it being slow and having delays when he does stuff online (like he can type something and it may take a moment before it shows up, or he can click on a webpage and it will take some time before it will even look like it's loading, or that it takes a good 5+ minutes on startup before the computer can be used, etc). He still has MBAM on his computer, and so I updated and ran a scan, and found no issues. I don't think it's a virus as much as it is an older computer with too much crap on it and not enough regular maintenance/clean-up.

I'm not really posting regarding the slowness of the computer, however if anyone has any suggestions I'm willing to hear them. I am more concerned with the remaining file listed in the system configuration utility, and whether or not it's anything to worry about.

Thank you :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users