Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A thread tried to release a resource it did not own

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mrgibby73

mrgibby73

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:29 AM

I'd just applied an some reccomended update from Microsoft. I was pushing back the restart though waiting for an adware/malware scan to complete, because i believe there was a virus present or trojan. Something that was redirecting the browser to some random search engine. The sweeper notified it was cleaned safe and removed, so i rebooted for the Microsoft update. Upon restarting the blue screen now shows up no matter if safe mode, normal start, or last good configuration start. A thread tried to release a resource it did not own, is the message i keep receiving on the blue screen. Unfortunately it's been going to the blue screen several times now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

Can you post the entire message, exactly as it appears onscreen?

Sooo...you cannot boot into XP at all, correct?

Suggested reading, http://www.faultwire.com/solutions_bsod/A_...000E3-1226.html.

Louis

#3 mrgibby73

mrgibby73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

{BLUE SCREEN}

A problem has been detected and window has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A thread tried to release a resource it did not own.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed <no new hardware installed, the only software was a microsoft update (not my pc, owner wasnt sure what the update was) but even on last known good configuration windows does not boot>
ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as cashing or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options and then select safe mode <does not boot from any safe mode either>

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x000000E3 (0x80558BE0, 0x873c63E8, 0x00000000, 0x00000002)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

From www.aumha.org:

0x000000E3: RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED
Various failures involving the NTFS file system cause this condition.

I would suspect that malware should not be ruled out as a possible contributor, it's hard for me to say.

You could try running the chkdsk /r command, although I would not expect much.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

IME, NTFS failures cannot be repaired, although there are tools which purport to be able to do such.

In my view, an NTFS problem is a bit worse than a hard drive problem. For one thing, the errors/situations are not readily pinpointed by any software I' have come across, whereas hard drive problems can be pinpointed even down to a specific sector of the drive, if the user has patience enough to do such.

My personal solution for dealing with NTFS problems...is to save whatever data I want from that partition, then do a clean install of the O/S. Such resolution holds no terror/regret for me because I have backups made and I maintain a copy of every program that I've used recently (within last 2 years) for future installations/repairs.

I suggest running the chkdsk /r command and then seeing what the results might be.

Louis

#5 mrgibby73

mrgibby73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

ok well...... tnx for the help so far let me continue. Since i have the windows disk i did a repair first didnt seem to help really, laptop's pretty old so i figured a fresh install couldnt hurt anyhow so i chose that option. All seemed to go thoroughly except when it now goes to startup it gets to a light blue XP style screen that says XP setup is restarting, but it goes to this screen every time and just does a shutdown restart continuously.

This computer is a Dell INSPIRON 600m

#6 PeteCal

PeteCal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:10 AM

This is unbelieveable. I just hit the same problem yesterday (one day after this thread started). My problem is exactly the same.

It started when I went to a website that was for a company that seems to be out of business. aimtron.com was an integrated circuit company. It transferred me to a "this url for sale" site then on to some other site. My antivirus started detecting an infection. Every few minutes it would pop up a warning and I would select "delete".

I closed the browser window and ran a virus check. Nothing found (data base had been updated within the previous hour). I still was suspicious so I did a windows update. When it finished it requested a restart which I did.

My computer never came back. It boots to the screen saying a failure and giving me the "safe mode" options. No matter which of them I select it tries to run it but ends up rebooting back to the safe mode screen. If I F8 I get a few more options including one that stops at exactly the same screen described above, right down to the ***STOP:0x000000E3" (Well, I don't know if the other numbers are the same I assume those are some addresses).

These coincidences are just too too much.

#7 PeteCal

PeteCal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

Look what google found:
http://www.stateofthetech.com/?p=117

Looks like a bug in one of the windows updates. I have not tried this yet. I will and post the results, good or bad.

Others have success:

http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-98-2000-m...id-not-own.html

Pete

Edited by PeteCal, 24 October 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:31 PM

You could try running chkdsk /r on the new install...just to see if it really took.

Bear in mind that a repair install...is only an attempt at rectifying whatever might be wrong. If it's an O/S issue, then a repair instal might overcome it since it replaces all system files. But a repair install will not overcome system problems originating in hardware or the NTFS file system or malware.

Louis

#9 PeteCal

PeteCal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

It worked. The problem is with the windows update KB971486. The procedure on startofthetech link describes how to use the XP install CD to get a command prompt then Uninstall that windows update.

I uninstalled it using "update2" to that procedure. Note the folder names like $NtUnstal..... appear to be case sensitive. Update 2 to the procedure just takes you to the folder where the uninstall info is and has you run a text file there as a batch file. Rebooted fine. No need for any chkdsk.

Right now I started another windows update and am told that I need that (just unstalled) update. I will finish this post then proceed with that update. I believe I know why it failed and will try again. if I don't report back for a while,....well that means the update didn't work again.

#10 PeteCal

PeteCal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:40 PM

Well, that failed. I let windows update install KB971486 and, just like the last time, when it rebooted the computer it would just get to the safe mode menu and, no matter what I selected it would just come to that same place.

I used the startofthetech link procedure to uninstalll that update. I'm back fine now.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

You don't have to use Windows Update to install any critical update...you can always download the individual update and install it from your desktop.

I suggest running chkdsk /r and defragging...before pursuing the above, if you head that way.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users