Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Startup slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tanneristhebest

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:25 AM

Hello there all. Ok, so my computer's real sloooow. I have Mcafee virus protection, have run virus scans through Mcafee and Housecall, have recently defragmented, have run both Spybot & Ad-Aware checks. No major problems there, no viruses detected, only some cookies found.
So when I look at Windows Task Manager, I have 63 processes running, a fluctuating CPU of around 10% depending on what I'm doing, but there is something called "system idle processes" that seems have a CPU of around 94 (but this means available, right?). But under run/msconfig, there's 30 programs at startup. I looked them all up on BC, and found that 13 I need, 13 I don't need, and 2 that are questionable and say they can't be identified which are: ACCAgnt and PCMService... and 2 that can't be found at all which are: dlbtmgr and starzd. Does anyones know what these are? I'm afraid to do a Hijack This log because I did another startup program, Tuneup Utilities 2004, which seemed to cause some problems after I used it, so I restored everything I changed.
Thanks so much for any help you can give. ~Robin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:41 AM

Hi do a highjack this log and resubmit it and one of the team will look at it.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 simplejohn

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:16 AM

Hey tanneristhebest

You can go into your msconfig as you did, and uncheck from the startup tab any program that you don't know.
If it's a critical process for windows then you won't be able to uncheck it.
Try to uncheck all programs that you don't need or know, and see what happens.

Edited by groovicus, 02 August 2005 - 06:42 PM.

#4 rmm55

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:34 AM

Post a HijackThis log, if you wish you could try processexplorer from www.sysinternals.com but be aware that McAfee is one of the most resource consuming virus scanners and it is know to slow down and bog otherwise responsive machines.
Roy Mel - YourTechOnline technician
roy@no_spam_yourtechonline.com (remove no_spam_)

#5 Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:21 PM

You should consider posting a Highjack This Log. This link will take you to a detailed tutorial on how to post a log.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

How to Post a Highjack This Log

When you have your log, you should post it -->here

Just please keep in mind that all Highjack This Team Members are volunteers. One must practice a little patience, when waiting for help. I promise you though that they will get to you as soon as they are able.

And above all do not attempt to work on your log yourself. And only take the advice from an official HJT Team Member. Which will show under thier name and avatar.

One more thing. Do not reply to your own post. As the Team keeps an eye out for zero replies. If they see a reply they will assume that someone is already helping you out. Then I'm afraid that you may get lost in the shuffle.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users