Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email verification

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:36 PM

Would you happen to know if an email can stand up in court, . . if I may offer an answer to my own question, . . . it seems so, . . since I believe that some individuals have been prosecuted on such evidence as an email.

If that is true, then where does the indelible evidence that can not be altered, come in ?

I mean how can one tell that no one has altered the original email and the date and time are authentic.

Edited by Jove, 22 October 2009 - 01:15 AM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:20 AM

simple if they can trace it back to the source machine. if you find an email on the receivers machine, and you back track it you will find a copy at the original machine and if they match well, hehe your out of luck. some email servers also make copies of emails. anything you send over cyber space can be copied. add into the fact even if you reformat the hard drive there are ways of retrieving information. computers computers, gotta love em or hate em.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:52 PM

Actually, I asked the question because I have a need for document verification, i.e.
doing design innovation work, often a the production evolves the description changing as development occurs, therefore a journal being kept is sometimes in the form of, "minutes",
details entered into the journal, this often creates the need for some type of verification, . .
as for me I run to a notary public to verify the date of inception etc. That gets to be a pain as sometimes its a few time a week.

Since I have gone this far in explanation, I may as well make use of a public disclosure, . .

as an inventive conception

The invention claimed, (by me, "Jove") is a document registration service,
the service is bonded for privacy and security
each page transmitted to the service, (in this case by email, fax may be an option), makes a microfiche copy,
and also has the capability of printing the document, this is stored for user, (sender), who is
returned a copy, (in this case an email and or attachments, etc.), with a document
registration number and date for each page.

I have not searched the patent office for prior art on this but I find that the idea seems interesting enough to research.

The usefulness of the service is for proof of documentation for inventors and writers,
amongst others such as clairvoyants

Jove Copyrights All Rights Reserved
10/24/2009

Thanks for your feed back.

Edited by Jove, 24 October 2009 - 06:59 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

There is another way. Print a copy and send it registered mail back to your self or a friend. Keep all the forms from the U.S. Post office and don't open the mail. Keep it in a safe place. I have used this method and it stood up in court. I like your idea because it would save time. You don't to leave you job or home.

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:59 PM

Layback Bear, Thanks for the comments, . .

What about that textual digital language that can be accessed in emails, I don't know how to bring it up with Outlook Express, I recall I could do it a while back when I had AOL, . .

Does anyone know where it is, . . it gives the details on the communique, . .
I ask this because I am looking for the evidential credence ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:13 AM

You could always sign the e-mails with a private GnuPG key. I don't think it preserves the timestap, though, unless it's part of the message. A GnuPG signed e-mail can be verified to not have been altered after being signed by examining the GnuPG signature block and validating it with the public half of the keypair. (As an example, I will digitally sign this post.)

Further reading: Digital Signatures.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (MingW32)

iD8DBQBK5TB0qry3I60g4B8RAutFAKCPAhoDv+uIuDIz2tfjpK4noYoUJQCgrK4+
t1TAfTtxzfoKeEZSHLcBuA4=
=fxuM
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 26 October 2009 - 12:15 AM.

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:52 AM

Thank you Amazing Andrew,
I have logged in the information for further considerations.
I have also found the way to access email headers and view the email communications path.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users