Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

stop:00000007B error, cant boot up at all

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elitelight

elitelight

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:33 PM

Hi

i would like to know if anyone can help me out. i've tried everything and nothing seems to work.

I have a PC with windows XP and SP3 installed. last week, i added in 2 new SATA harddrives(1.5T byte each), and during that process, i moved the OS harddrive from one SATA port to another. there are total 6 sata ports on the mother board. After the new harddrives are added, the computer can no longer boot up. it boots to windows, flashes a blue screen so fast and went back again to the reboot process.

i tried to boot into safe mode, it didnt work, it just kept on rebooting.

I took out the XP disc and tried to boot from the CD, it then gave the following error during the setup process:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for virues on your computer, remove any newly installed hardrives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

techinical information:
--- STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I then took out the new harddrives and use only my original harddrive, the same problem still exists.

does anyone have any clue on why this is happening? I would like to run CHKDSK, but i cant even boot up to a prompt.
any help would be greatly appreciated. i am stuck.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

make sure you did not whack a ram retainer and have unseated ram
Where ever you go.................. There you are

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

What does the BIOS reflect...as the boot drive?

I'm wondering why you even bothered to move the boot drive from one port to another.

I would temporarily disconnect all drives save the boot drive and try that by itself...in it's original location. I would also ensure that the BIOS reflects that drive as the boot drive.

If attempting to boot succeeds, I would then reconnect the other drives, one at a time, checking the status each time of drives reflected in the BIOS and the within My Computer/Disk Management.

Is your power supply unit strong enough to handle the hardware changes?

Louis

#4 elitelight

elitelight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the reply.

the memories are in the the slots properly. it's total 4G.

i bought a new 650W power supply to replace my old one because i though power supply might be a problem. but it didnt help. i am pretty sure 650W is sufficient enough as i dont have any high end video card.

I dont know why i swapped sata port, i shouldnt have done it.

i have tried to disconnect all of the harddrives except for the orignal OS harddrive, and connect to to every one of the sata ports since i dont remember which one i connected originally. i tried on all 6 ports, and still the same problem.

the bios does reflect the correct drives. i can see all of them in the proper ports when i connect them all.

please let me know what else i can try.

thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:04 AM

Back to basics...I would try to run chkdsk /r command on the system partition...from the Recovery Console of the MS XP CD.

Do not run chkdsk /f, as instructed. The chkdsk /r command is more exhaustive and it's functions include those of chkdsk /f.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

FWIW: http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm. Scroll down to 7B in left column and read data for that error.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users