Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing unicode characters after computer reformat!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GodzillaFirebox

GodzillaFirebox

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:17 PM

I have been searching like mad to try and find the answer to this, but I just can't find anything! No one seems to have this problem or know how to help!

I reformatted my computer after trojans rendered it unusable, but I didn't have any sort of backup because it was unexpected.

I reformatted, installed drivers using Dell's website, and the computer works fine except for the fact that I am now missing unicode characters, such as number 2764, a black heart which I was previously able to see!

It is very annoying seeing little boxes instead of symbols that the people who posted them can obviously see, and I have no clue where to get them back! There is no "unicode downloads" website, or any sort of driver I could see that would get these back.

What do I do? How did this happen? I'm so frustrated!

Computer: Dell E521
Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

You sure this isn't a fonts issue?

I don't see anything enlightening about Unicode problems/situations.

Louis

#3 GodzillaFirebox

GodzillaFirebox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

I didn't touch the fonts, why should there be any issue? Is there some sort of unicode characters font that I could download?

I don't understand what you mean by enlightening. This is a new situation/problem that I have no idea how to deal with, and no one on tech support forums seems to be able to help me with this.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:50 PM

Fonts are files...any file is capable of becoming damaged at any time, without any warning signs until that file is called upon to perform what it was designed for.

I repeated the fonts query because I saw that suggestion made by someone more knowledgeable than I am...to someone in a similar situation as yours.

<<I don't understand what you mean by enlightening.>>

That means that my Google efforts did not find anything on the Web...that might lead to resolution or knowledge about your situation (as described).

Seems to me that...if your system is reading code improperly...that will be very hard to troubleshoot. Have you tried printing something with these problematical characters included...and comparing that to what you see onscreen with same characters? Might help define the problem, might not.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2009 - 03:57 PM.

#5 GodzillaFirebox

GodzillaFirebox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

Someone told me that it might have been a botched installation of windows, because I reformatted...

Should these characters be standard on the Windows CD? I didn't have them at any point after I reinstalled Windows, they just weren't there.

#6 Ash98

Ash98

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

Check your character map, if loads are missing from their try reinstalling the Character Map using add/remove components...:\ Or yeah, it might be to do with the fonts.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:03 PM

LOL..I wish I had the knowledge to answer your question, but I don't :thumbsup:.

I'm curious...just how did you determine that you have a unicode problem?

In any case...there seem to be several downloads for unicode character maps, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...&aqi=g4g-m3. One may be the answer to your situation.

Louis

#8 GodzillaFirebox

GodzillaFirebox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

I'm curious...just how did you determine that you have a unicode problem?

I found out I had the problem because I visited the same websites I used to frequent before my reformat, and I saw boxes with numbers in them instead of hearts and stars, etc., those symbols that younger people love to use in their signatures and stuff.

Also, I have downloaded a character map, and I was missing a lot of symbols, they didn't help with anything but proving my suspicions correct.

Edited by GodzillaFirebox, 22 October 2009 - 08:45 PM.

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:29 PM

I don't know but maybe you can find some info that will help you here....

http://www.unicode.org/

Btw, I cannot make unicode characters on my computer but as far as I know, I see them on websites as I do not see the things you do in place of them

Edited by Stang777, 22 October 2009 - 10:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users