Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new setup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 plantedearth

plantedearth

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:03 PM

I have a Toshiba laptop and have periodically had trouble with spyware, etc. Today, i woke up to find Antivirus Pro 2010 on my system...
Thru a series of apparent screw ups and a lack of desire for paying anyone for a fix...I downloaded all my pertinent info and wiped out my system...Full restore.
So now I'm back to factory sets...computer is a few years old now, but still in good shape overall...

What I'm looking for is someone to advise me of what should be running at all times, at start up, etc. so I can keep a better eye on all this. by the time I wiped everything clean, I had numerous processes running that I had no clue as to what they were.
Is there a HiJack list or something that someone can help me get that helps me archive what my system should look like??

Also, I had Mcafee and as fate would have it, I'm due to upgrade on Oct 29, so I did not re-install on here yet. Please advise what antivirus system you recommend and why. And whatever Spyware protection, etc. Clean Slate...starting over and would like to keep better tabs and control as to what goes on here and try to keep this from happening again....

Thank You!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:17 PM

for starters so you stay clean go to the security section, there are several free anti virus and firewall products that will help you while you get sorted out. There is enough info to assist you in making the choices that will fit your needs.

One place to start : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/264613/what-protection/

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users