Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up two routers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nofomg

nofomg

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

I had one router down stairs but i couldn't get wireless internet upstairs very well so i ran a line up to second floor and connected a second router. I know i need to change the second routers ip so it wont conflict with the first one but everything i tried didnt work. My first router is an Actiontec M1424WR (came with Verizon Fios) The new router is a Netgear WGT624v3.

The first router's default gateway is 192.168.1.1
the new line is hooked into the 4th port of the first router, the ip that is automatically assigned (when i hook up a laptop) is 192.168.1.3
does the second router have to have the default gateway as 192.168.1.3 or do i need to make it something else?

Also I cant log into the first router because my wife set the password and has since forgot it. If i hit the reset button on the router it will reset the pass but does anyone know what the default will be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:03 PM

For the Actiontec M1424WR - the defaults are UN = admin and PW = password.

This page tells you what you should do but not how to do it. I have in the past given step by step instructions on how to do each thing but I have come to the conclusion that the person asking can look up the manual(if they don't have it) and find the steps just as easy as I can. lol Here is the link to your router's manual.

Just FYI that Actiontec is a piece of crap for wireless. I am willing to bet you could just bypass its wireless and DHCP and let the Netgear handle both and you wouldn't need to put it upstairs. Just a thought. Let us know how it goes. Any questions please ask away.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 nofomg

nofomg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

Ok thanks for the info. ill try it later tonight when i get home. I would replace the one downstairs with the newer one but i also need a router upstairs for my xbox360. i prefer a hard wired connection for any gaming. i've had too many lag spikes with wireless in the past. i know wireless has gotten just as good but i guess im old fashioned.

#4 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:42 AM

disable the first routers DHCP and plug the cable into LAN port instead of WAN (that's what I had to do several years ago to use my wireless router as an 'access point'.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 nofomg

nofomg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:53 AM

Thanks guys, it was a lot easier than the the netgear instructions made it seem. In the directions they had you change the IP and disable the DHCP 2-3 times which is not necessary. Got it all hooked up and its working great. my only hangup was trying to navigate that stupid actiontec router setup. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users