Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Taskbar, start button or desktop icons!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BrynnX

BrynnX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

Hi guys,

I'm currently posting from another computer since the one I'm trying to fix is effectively inoperable at the moment.

The computer is a laptop with windows XP, I can't access the system setting to work out which SP it has, but the user seems to think it had SP2 on it.

Basically what happened is this: the computer was running quite slowly and AVG wouldnt run correctly. The tray icon would appear, but upon trying to open the GUI it would close after 1-2 seconds. Thinking it was possibly malware I tried renaming the .exe file, and AVG would remain open but couldn't run a scan. Having seen stuff like this before I decided to try malwarebytes and see if it would clear anything up. I downloaded mbam and tried to run it, but once again mbam closes after a second or two, and isn't able to complete a scan. Almost immediately after this the taskbar, start button and all the desktop icons disappeared, leaving only the wallpaper.

At this point I restarted the computer, but got the same problem. I can use ctrl+alt+del to open the task manager, but from there I can't use the New Task button to start anything (it's greyed out). I restarted the computer in safe mode and got the same thing. I can restart it and open safe mode with the command line, and from there I tried running mbam/AVG again, thinking that any virus that was closing things might not be able to close it in safe mode, but alas they dont run for more than 1-2 seconds.

Also I can't access the boot system controls with F2 upon startup.

Any help or advice anyone can offer would be hugely, hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:25 PM

Hello,for the desktop.
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the XP CD when asked.

Now too see if we can run MBAM.
Please download and run Process Explorer v11.33

Now look for any/all of these.
Right click with your mouse to highlight. Then go to top of page and kill them by clicking the red X along the toolbar.
Under explorer.exe

av360.exe
453732.exe (look for a brown shield and something like... 453732.exe it can be different numbers)
tsc.exe (has a blue/white stripe shield).

If still no joy.
1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.
2. Restart your computer (very important).
3. Download and run this utility. Mbam clean
4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).
5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php
Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent.
Note: If using Free version, ignore the part about putting in your license key and activating.
Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration.
Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and run a Quick Scan and post that log.

If that worked please post the log.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Edited by boopme, 21 October 2009 - 09:26 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 BrynnX

BrynnX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

Unfortunately the New Task (Run) button in the Task Manager is greyed out and I can't click on it. I've also tried *window key*+r but that doesn't seem to work either. Also there's no start button.

I've also tried changing the filename of mbam.exe, but the command console only gives me an 'Access is denied.' message when I do.

#4 planetsmasher72

planetsmasher72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:06 PM

my computer has the same symptoms, but everytime i try to enter safe mode my computer freezes. all i see is a black screen with white letters on it and it doesnt go away. can anyone help me to get my computer to enter safe mode?

#5 BrynnX

BrynnX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:17 PM

my computer has the same symptoms, but everytime i try to enter safe mode my computer freezes. all i see is a black screen with white letters on it and it doesnt go away. can anyone help me to get my computer to enter safe mode?

Is this safe mode with command console or just regular safe mode?
My regular safe mode looks like this, but when I load the cmd console at least I can access files and stuff. At the moment it's looking like I'm going to have to take off all the files I can get at and do a format and reinstall.

#6 planetsmasher72

planetsmasher72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:57 PM

Is this safe mode with command console or just regular safe mode?
My regular safe mode looks like this, but when I load the cmd console at least I can access files and stuff. At the moment it's looking like I'm going to have to take off all the files I can get at and do a format and reinstall.

i have three separate safe modes and they all come to the same result. i have safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt. i can open up the internet before the internet icon disappears, but my computer wont let me download any viirus protection software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users