Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home, Explorer shuts down when exploring

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 esroberto

esroberto

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

Hello, all. I'm Robert and I live in Nashville, and will eventually post an actual introduction and updated profile at some point. I'm using Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2, and I almost always browse the internet with the latest version of Firefox.

For now, I have what appears to be a very deeply seated problem. I've run multiple malware, adware, and virus scans, all of which turn up nothing (at this point, after repeated and "successful" use) so I can only surmise this problem is maybe in my BIOS or something.

Two problems exist. One, I can't search for files using Explorer without it shutting down the process for a second and making me start over. It used to give me a DRWTSN (or DRWIN, or something like that) error message when this would happen, adding a process by that name to the Task Manager's 'Processes' list, but I found a way to make it skip that message/process and just re-run Explorer (which is why I can't remember exactly how the error is spelled). I figured even if it didn't help with the problem, it would at least avoid a time-wasting symptom and I'd just live with the disease, which was fine until I got into a situation where it was necessary for me to email a lot of files to people on a regular basis. Now it locks up anytime I hit 'Browse...' when trying to post a pic on facebook, or send a file through the browser version of Hotmail, unless I can get the file located and dbl-clk'd within .3 of a second. If it locks up, it does so until I call up Task Manager and end the process. It is somewhat intermittent, but happens more often than not in normal Explorer use, and happens every time I 'Browse...' for a file to send or post as an attachment.

The other problem is one I thought I'd fixed, but it has come back. I can't access any of the folders in my C://Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents folder. I've seen the posts, here and at Microsoft, about replacing permissions and taking ownership of a folder, but they include clicking on a 'Security' tab in the folder's 'Properties', and when I access 'Properties', there is no 'Security' tab anywhere. The way I fixed it before had to do with running regedit and setting a certain value to 0, but again, this was a good while ago, so details are foggy at best. (This problem is quite secondary, for what are probably obvious reasons.)

Like most new posters here, I've been pulling my hair out with this thing, and in my case, for probably a year or more. Can anyone help me with this? Is there a scan'n'log .exe I can run on my BIOS and post here or something?

Lastly, please tell me what additional information I can post that would be helpful in the future. I'm sure there's something more I could include here.

Thanks a million,
Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 esroberto

esroberto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:33 PM

Solved the second problem for now... until the first problem creates the second problem again. I sure hope someone can help!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

The security tab can be added to XP Home, http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm. It's a convenience and I suggest that all XP Home users make this change.

There are various possible reasons for your perceived "initial problem."

One approach (the one I would take) is to try a repair install of XP, hoping that it's a situation of system files being corrupted/damaged.

Another approach...search the system for any .dmp files, then follow the procedures enumerated at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/ .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users