Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Virus? Boot Sector Virus?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tribexa

tribexa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

Hello.

Gentlemen...I have a problem that has brought me here.

I have in my possession a Chinese Windows XP based system that has a bleep of a problem with the letter "e" (I know, sounds like a nightmare from Sesame Street!)

When I press the power button, I can see the disk indicator light flashing as I hear beep-beep-beep-beep-beep...continuously until the windows xp boot logo appears and when the user log-on screen appears, the letter "e" quickly fills up the Password entry field until no character entry is allowed then the beeps return.

At this point, if I press another letter on the keyboard, the beeping stops and the "e" key no longer works no matter how many times you try.

I have scanned the computer with Norton Corporate and found 2 keyloggers (avp.exe). Additionally, I have already turned off system restore, ran CCleaner, booted into Windows XP repair console and performed "fixmbr" and "fixboot".

While the fix boot / fix mbr seems to work for the initial POST / Bootup, the problem returns as soon as the user log-on screen appears.

Has anyone come across this behavior before and what was the remedy? I would really appreciate some help on this annoyance.

Thanks for taking the time.
tribe.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tribexa

tribexa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

No one has come across this type of problem? Is there additional information needed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users