Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes at startup/.dlls missing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SethK

SethK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

Hi

Ok, so I have just finished a lengthy battle with an infection of "Windows Police Pro" and "Security Tool". Unfortunately it seems to have left my computer in a pretty bad state.

There seem to be a number of things off, but the problem that I am really concerned with is, whenever I start up now, as it starts up I get two pop ups saying:
"Error loading givijomu.dll...The specified module could not be found"
"Error loading C:\docume~1\HP_ADM~1\ntuser.dll...The specified module could not be found"

Not only does this happen, but everything starts to load and then seems to freeze at startup, until I ctrl+alt+del and open task manager, then everything seems to start moving again.

In my attempt to remove the viruses, I used both Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware, which found many things and removed them. At one point I also went to "msconfig" and disabled the startup processes in order to try and run malwarebytes, which was being stopped by the virus. I have since then enabled them again.

I run Windows XP Media Center Edition, version 2002, Service Pack 2.

Any help in fixing this would greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

There are three places where this dll may be loaded from:

1. in the Startup

2. in the registry

3. in the Services list

We need to run a finding tool to get a log to check where these dlls are.

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2
  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :services
    givijomu
    ntuser
    :reg
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run 
    :filefind
    givijomu.dll
    ntuser.dll
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log for me to look at.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users