Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"userinit.exe Application Error"

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 david91784

david91784

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

Help! Had similar msg when I got up this morning. Something to do with a memory location. Had to power down to get rid of it. Since then after a reboot I am good to the password screen, after that I "userinit.exe Application Error". with memeory read error at 0x00000000. Click OK to terminate or cancel to debug. either option clears the dialog box but leaves me with a desktop with no icons, start menu or anything. I have rebooted to known last good settings to no avail
Saw a similar post from Nov17 2008 but the thread ran out before I saw a soloution.

Any help woulld be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:46 PM

You could try the fix given below. This fix was developed for a different problem than you are experiencing, but it might work.

Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe to the current RC.ISO
  • In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
  • Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
  • Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
  • Click File and select Save As...
  • Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.
Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.
  • Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
  • Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
  • Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
  • In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
  • Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
  • And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.
Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd i386
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 david91784

david91784
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

Budapest,
Thanks for the reply. Based on the number of replys I don't have anything common. Seeing your instructions, seems kind of involved for my skill level. Especially if not developed for my problem.
What is the basic jist of this fix? Are we rewriting the userinit file? I have an XP disc. not the one for this machine, Can this be of any help to me?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

The listed suggestion...replaces the userinit.exe file, based on the premise that it's damaged.

Louis

#5 david91784

david91784
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:09 AM

I am wading in. I have burned the cd successfuly. When I F8 the start up and choose the cd reader to boot from, it apperars to want to boot up normally. Can I F5 the start and do a safe boot with command prompt to copy in my new file?

#6 david91784

david91784
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

Let me answer my own quetsion.....NO

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

Have you tried just manually changing the boot options in the BIOS...making the optical drive the first device?

I don't know what the F8 routine is, but it seems related to safe mode from what I see. We are not interested in safe mode.

Just guessing.

Louis

#8 david91784

david91784
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

I am hot after the original sugestio by Budapest. Am using XP cd to get to the command prompt to overwrite the userinit file. Will let you know shortly. Hopeful!

#9 david91784

david91784
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:06 PM

Struggleing!! My recovery disk has a folder "system 32 and two files "WIN51" should I be seeing all of that or just my userinit.exe file??

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

A recovery/restore disk...is not the same as a MS Windows XP CD.

Users, like you, who try to treat such as if they are one and the same...are bound to be disappointed in the results.

The suggestion to use the downloaded Recovery Console tool...was a good one, based on the fact that you do not have a MS XP CD. It is the only way that you would have a chance to attempt to "easily" replace a damaged XP system file.

As for "recovery disk" content, I know nothing about the contents of each...other than they can vary from vendor to vendor and system to system. I have no such system that utilizes recovery/restore CDs, I have various licenses and versions of MS XP which I purchases separately for individual install on my systems.

Budapest, and others here, have more varied experiences than I when it comes to troubleshooting. I suggest that you follow the instructions he provided for his suggestion...and await further input from him later.

Many of the contributors to this forum are committed to lifestyles unlike mine currently....I do not work and consider myself "justifiably retired", with no wish for further employment by anyone :thumbsup:. Users need to consider such things when anticipating/desiring rapid replies to situations/problems.

System manufacturer and model, please?

Louis

#11 david91784

david91784
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

louis,

Thanks for taking an intreset and following my problem. I feel as though I was unnecessiarily spanked! I am not looking for any quick fix. I followed the instructions of Budapest quite closely. It clearly states the the recovery CD that he had me create would in fact as a MS xp cd. I am just following instructions I was given, and posting my results in the hope that he or some other knowledgeable person can steer me in the right direction.

I do have an MS XP disk (not licensed to this machine). I used it to get to a windows C: prompt. The copy instruction failed because I don't have a "userinit.exe" file. When I do a DIR search of my recovery disk I am seeing "userinit.ex_"
along with 26 other files of the **_ extension.

My machine is private built with an asus p5gd1 motherboard

David

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

OK, David...no spanking intended :thumbsup:, I just find that it doesn't hurt to remind users of some things from time to time. Everyone wants an expeditious answer but it's difficult for many contributors to provide such.

Please do not ever refer to the XP Recovery Console as a "recovery CD". Recovery CDs and restore CDs...mean something totally different in the minds of many. The XP Recovery Console has no resemblance, intended or otherwise, to recovery/restore CDs.

There are two parts to having a MS XP CD...the license to install the files (which is the merchandise/serice sold to users) and the CD which contains the XP files for purposes of installing. Microsoft is concerned with unlawful usage of the...license. The CD itself can be used to repair/reinstall any number of systems, as long as each system has its own license.

So it doesn't matter if you have a MS XP CD which has a license attached to a different system. As long as the versions (Home, Pro) are the same for any two or more systems...that CD can be used (ICW the appropriate license) to repair/reinstall on a different system.

The Recovery Console is on that MS XP CD. Looking over the posts, I don't see where that was clear to anyone.

<<When I do a DIR search of my recovery disk I am seeing "userinit.ex_" along with 26 other files of the **_ extension.>>

That userinit.ex_ file should be the userinit.exe file you copied to disk. Windows has a way of truncating file extensions sometimes, for whatever reason.

That's the file that you want to substitute for the file currently on your C: partition. That's the only file that will be copied from the CD to your system, as I read the instructions. No need to be concerned with any other folder or file on that Recovery Console CD you burned.

Louis

#13 david91784

david91784
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:46 PM

Louis,

No offense taken.

I managed to overwrite the userinit.exe file with no success.

Losing my will to live

BLEEPING COMPUTER!!!!!

Dave

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

Since you have a MS XP CD (same version) and a valid license...why not try a repair install, using the correct key for your system?

Something to consider, in any case. Repair installs don't solve everything (hardware or malware prevail) but it does result in a clean set of system files, removing the O/S from potentially being at fault.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

Try disconnecting physically from the network/internet and then starting your system.
Does the error still occur?

Error on logon
http://www.downloadpipe.com/forums/windows...pict612200.html
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users