Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webmail Folders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel3679

Daniel3679

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

Hi all,

I have an e-mail account hosted at godaddy which came with my website, i have previously used webmail but i am now going to start using an e-mail client, i have already created folders through webmail for various different e-mails.

Does anyone know how i would set an e-mail client (like outlook or thunderbird) up so that it will sync the folders on the server to my e-mail client on my pc?

Not sure if this can be done but any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Daniel
Dan - If its not broken dont fix it

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:17 PM

Yes. Thunderbird and Outlook can synch to external mail servers. Outlook is even pretty good at figuring out the correct protocol. Is there something in the documnetation that is confusing you? Both have excellent documentation that will walk you through setting up an account.

#3 Daniel3679

Daniel3679
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:49 AM

Hiya there,

I have several folders on the hosting account which i created via the webmail

I now want to use an e-mail client such as microsoft outlook but i cannot seem to sync the folders

Only e-mails in the default folders (Inbox, Drafts, Sent etc) will be syned not the folders i have created or the contents.

I basically need to know if it is possible to sync folders (that i have setup through webmail) with outlook on my PC.

I hope this makes it more clear to understand

Thanks for your help
Dan
Dan - If its not broken dont fix it

Posted Image

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

Not sure if I am understanding your question, but in order to synch emails with custom folders, you have to create rules that tells outlook where to put them. For instance, if they are from person X, put them in folder y. If the body contains some text, put them in a different folder. That is just a matter of right-clicking an email in the inbox folder, and selecting 'create rule.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users