Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

These Umpires are Terrible

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

This was by far the wordt call i've ever seen in Major League baseball. .
The 3rd Base play was incredible.. The man is blind and I'm a Yankees fan.. see the video here. the Catcher tags both men out who are clearly off the bag.. :thumbsup:
And that was the worst of three in the game.

Umpire Tim McClelland makes the worst call of all time
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

Instant replay often shows that umpires do not always get it right, since the replay can be slowed down to show, for example, a sweeping tag was made before the runner's foot while sliding gets to a bag.

But, in this case, you don't need to slow down the instant replay - the umpire error is clear even in real time.

A call like this could be the difference in a game. In the playoffs or World Series, there aren't enough games to balance out these mistakes and the umpire errors detract from the game for both the players and the fans.

Just an observation.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:40 PM

That game wasn't the only time where such was evident. I remember watching one of the games for the Yankees vs Twins game and one of the foul ball calls was pretty ridiculous. Twins batter Joe Mauer hit a ball to....I think right field.....and the call was ruled as foul ball when, after seeing the replay, it should clearly be a fair ball and ground rule double (I think that's what it's called). And it's obvious too...with an umpire not too far where it is who should've clearly seen that it was fair!

Twins vs Yankees Joe Mauer's hit ruled foul by Umpire

Edit: Changed link to an article to eliminate the rude comments in the what was a Youtube link with rude/not for children type of comments.

Edited by scff249, 21 October 2009 - 11:25 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#4 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:31 PM

This is honestly one of those times I can say the Umpire needs a new pair of glasses! *LMAO*
That was so obvious it wasn't funny...

The guy who ran back from Home DID brush the base, then moved his foot off. (see 1:28 in the video). I can't remember but wouldn't that count as him tagging the base? I thought it did ... I haven't read the rules in detail so ...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:57 PM

The guy who ran back from Home DID brush the base, then moved his foot off. (see 1:28 in the video). I can't remember but wouldn't that count as him tagging the base? I thought it did ... I haven't read the rules in detail so ...

That only applies to running to first base so long as you don't round off of it (or something like that). Home is also an exception so long as you're not called out from base tagging (which only applies if you can't go backwards in the first place) or being tagged out. After that, you must ALWAYS have yourself on the base or else you're considered off the base.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#6 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

That only applies to running to first base so long as you don't round off of it (or something like that). Home is also an exception so long as you're not called out from base tagging (which only applies if you can't go backwards in the first place) or being tagged out. After that, you must ALWAYS have yourself on the base or else you're considered off the base.

Ah ok ... yeah, I figured that once you tagged the base you had to stay on it ...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users