Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

blank screen on start up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bammbamm21

bammbamm21

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

So when i start up my computer with it plugged into the dvi connection the screen is blank and the monitor never comes out of power save mode. If i plug in the vga cable it comes on but the screen is all messed up. Words are spelled wrong, dollar signs are all over the screen and after a bit i get a blue screen where it says a problem has come up and it needs to close then performs a memory check. its not the standard blue screen of death and after the memory check it does restart on its own.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on what could be wrong?

dell dimension e520 w/vista
1gb ram
250 gigs hard drive

havent changed anything recently.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

First, I would try a different monitor with that computer (or different computer with that monitor). You need to eliminate the good component from the bad.

DR

#3 bammbamm21

bammbamm21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:37 PM

i have tried with a different monitor. same thing. screen wont turn on at all with the dvi cable. only with the vga cable. in safe mode it works fine. the file it says that is failing is an nvidia display driver. i replaced that with a new one and its still the same. could that be a bad video card? would it work in safe mode with a bad vid card? woul di need to change something in the registry? for the new nvidia driver i just opened it and it did its thing. would i need to delete the old driver first or would they do that?

i have a gforce 7300le

thanks much

#4 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:56 PM

What were you doing just before this began happening? Did you try updating a video driver or make any changes to the settings? It sounds like something is up with either the driver, the settings or possibly the video card. Have you tried safe mode?
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users