Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Google Search redirect problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 F250_

F250_

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:06 PM

New here. I've seen other posts where users were experiencing the exact same problem as I, so I have been proactive enough to run the same recommended approach and already have my ComboFix log ready to post.

Problem: When I would search within Google, the listed results (at least the first 10-20 of them) are all targeted towards sites like myoptumhealth.com, local, tazinga.com, couponmountain.com, etc.

Actions taken:
- Ran Spybot Search adn Destroy (updated) ... fixed a few things, but not the search effort
- ran Ad-Aware (updated) ... fixed one thing but not the search effort
- I found this site and the posts I mentioned above and took the following steps (in order)
- downloaded ComboFix
- read the guide
- installed ComboFix
- disabled all security processes on my laptop
- installed Windows Recovery Console
- ran ComboFix
- registered with bleepingcomputer so I could post for quidance to see if followup actions are required
- tried a Google search that had not worked earlier
- completed this post and am waiting for guidance for further steps

Observations:
- my Google searches seem to be completely restored to normal functionality

Question:
- Do you want me to post my ComboFix log?

Thanks,
Pete

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:36 PM

Moved from HJT to a more appropriate forum. Tw

#3 F250_

F250_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:33 PM

So... it's been two days since I posted, and NO reply at all.

Can someone help me with this issue..... PLEASE??

#4 chrisatbluescreen

chrisatbluescreen

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

What adware did you install?
"What I cannot create, I do not understand"
Richard Feynman
Posted Image

#5 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:09 PM

Hey F250, if you didn't notice you posted your problem in the wrong forum, I moved it for you so please don't blame us for the delay. I hope the other volunteers here at BC are also willing to help with your problem now?

#6 F250_

F250_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:56 PM

Hey F250, if you didn't notice you posted your problem in the wrong forum, I moved it for you so please don't blame us for the delay. I hope the other volunteers here at BC are also willing to help with your problem now?

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, I know it landed in the wrong forum to begin with, but that was simply out of "newbie ignorance on my part", and I guess I should have not included that first day's residence there in my whining. Please accept my apologies... and I do appreciate your help in moving it to where it should have been in the first place.

Chris, I installed the packages referenced in my OP... Spybot Search and Destroy, and Ad-Aware (by Lavasoft). Regardless, though both packages found and resolved some of the bad actors, neither resolved my Google search problem.

However, when I installed and ran ComboFix, the problem was resolved, or so it seems.

Therefore, my question is this... Should I still have the ComboFix log reviewed by someone here just to make sure that everything got resolved that should have been?

Thanks for your help.

#7 F250_

F250_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

OK... so now it's been two more days with yet still no reply to my question.

Is there not a moderator/administrator/experienced individual who can help me with this issue?

All I want to know is if what I have done is "good enough", or if there is still a need to have the ComboFix log file reviewed to ensure that my issue has been correctly and completely resolved.

#8 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:16 PM

Hello F250 and :thumbsup: to BleepingComputer.

My apologies for the delay in response.

Please take note of the following:

ComboFix (CF for short) is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. When CF is run without trained assistance, it can no longer be considered a "safe" tool. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

If you would like your ComboFix log to be read by a helper, you will need to submit DDS and RootRepeal logs to the Malware Removal forum. There is a large backlog there due to our entire staff being comprised of volunteers and our receiving several hundred requests for help each day. The average wait time is currently between 12-14 days from the date you submit a case to the Malware Removal forum.

If you wish to do this, you should read and follow the steps in this guide. It will walk you through creating a case. In your topic, you should mention that you have already run ComboFix, but do NOT post your ComboFix log until it is requested by a helper.

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 25 October 2009 - 08:17 PM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#9 F250_

F250_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:46 PM

Blade:

Thank you for the detailed reply. I understand that I took a pre-emptive step in running ComboFix before being instructed to do so, but it was only after seeing that recommendation being made by a moderator in response to someone else's post where they described virtually the exact symptoms I was experiencing, and was therefore not done out of proactive ignorance or over-eager niavete. Furthermore, I followed the User Guide with exacting precision in downloading and running ComboFix so as to minimize any potential negative results.

Regardless, I will pursue the course of action you recommended, and am very grateful for the hoenst assessment regarding the backlog of requests and resultant waiting list for assistance. Accordingly, I will be patient once I initiate my request.

Thanks again,
Pete (F250_) :thumbsup:

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:00 AM

When searching for topics that need a response We look at the number of replies
It looked like your topic was being taken care of

Edited by garmanma, 26 October 2009 - 10:00 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users