Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to start windows

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 westcoastpainter

westcoastpainter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:58 AM

Ok, having a few issues here....

I am (was!) operating windows vista 32 ultimate on my HP Media centre pc.

I cannot get past the initial home screen with hp media - giving keyboard commands etc, the keyboard does not respond.
I have tried several different keyboards, different usb slots for them etc etc

Before this issue I was repeatedly getting a blue screen with windows shutting down due to an error, so I tried booting from the disc to do a system repair but the computer still crashed even during this process. Which left me a tad frustrated to say the least.

I am now left with very few options.

Could it be a hardware issue?

The errors I received prior to this latest development were
stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x8eb85902, 0x8c9cac0c, 0x00000000)
win32K.sys - address 8eb85902 base at 8eac0000, date stamp 47918c6e

Then,

mcupdate.dll - address 87212014 base at 87211000 date stamp 4791a6e7

This one seems to be referring to Macafee anti virus, which I am not using - I recently moved my Norton anti virus to this computer (I found out I could use it on more than one computer, the other being the one I am using now) could this have had an impact on the system??

I would really appreciate any feedback......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:22 PM

hi,,,, if the pc had McAfee on it before install of Norton,,,, did you use the Mcfee removal tool after uninstall as bits will be left over and will be causing issues with Norton.
as for the other error code ,,, have you reinstalled the os lately,,, could be its corrupt on the hard drive,,, do a disc check for errors and repair if it finds any,,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

Open start type in sfc /scannow this will do a chkdsk for you !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#4 westcoastpainter

westcoastpainter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:54 AM

Hi there,

thanks for the replies, I had a look at the webpage for the hp media centre pc and on that I came across a wee trick.
If you unplug the power supply and hold the on/off button in for ten seconds, then replug the power socket and turn on it seems to reset things!!?

Works a treat now - still not exactly sure what went wrong though - think I'm going to go back to XP.....

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users