Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Draw will not open

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:03 AM

Dell optiplex running XP, SP2
I need to restart my computer to complete a McAfee update. After last weeks MS update my son got a BSOD when he restarted. Before I restarted I wanted to backup customer and other files to a DVD. I did something I have not done before and that was to copy over my Quick Books folder. When I tried to make the disc compatible it said files were in use and would not let me do it. I tried pressing the button to open the draw but it would not as it said files were in use. Everything is closed. I reopened drive f ( DVD Drive) and I used tried task manager to close but same thing.
I suspected that their may be copy protection of some sort on the Quick Book file. I tried to delete and got rid of everything except an empty folder titled Quick Books .It will not allow me to delete folder, rename or move. It stills says something is in use and will not let me open the draw.
I donít mind throwing the disc away and making a new one but I cannot open the draw.
Can I do the paper clip open with the computer powered up? What will happen if I do this?
Would the computer be OK if I power down and open with the paper clip?
My fall back is to back-up to a USB stick and then power down and remove.
Suggestions are welcome
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:13 AM

If DVD drive tray is not opening because a file is in use, just shutdown the computer and restart it. As computer starts to re-boot, press Eject button on DVD drive.

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:53 AM

Thanks Romeo29
I would like to do a back-up before shut down if possible. Since my post I looked further into the running processes. There are two items that may be related to this
DLACMD_W.EXE 3836K

DLACMD_W.EXE 18,716 K

I believe that theses are related to the sonic software that works the DVD drive.
Would it be safe to end these in task manager? I have not used task manager to end processes before so I am a little gun shy.
All suggestions welcome
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:57 PM

Well I tried to use task manager to end processes:

DLACMD_W.EXE 3836K

DLACMD_W.EXE 18,716 K

Didnít seem to work though. Backed up to a USB , then did a shut down as Romeo29 suggested and removed DVD at start up.
I guess I was just being paranoid. Since the restart I made a DVD back up with no problem. Did not try to copy Quick Books file. Maybe this has some sort of copy protection.. Quick Books back up did write to the DVD as it has before. Everything seems ok now. Thanks to all that looked at my post and to Romeo29 for his suggestion.
Best Regards
Nawtheasa
Thanks Romeo29

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users