Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smoked computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 seg42

seg42

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

This isn't an immediate problem, but it has me stumped. A laptop was resentlly returned to the office from an employee who was a heavy smoker. The case and laptop were filled with ash and stunk to high heaven. Trough airing and handwashing I've gotten almost all the stink from the case, but I'm unsure what to do about the laptop. I've gotten all the ash out of it, and I've sat it infront of a fan for a few days trying to get the smell out with no luck. The smell really needs to be removed before the laptop is reassigned. Does anyone know how to get a lingering oder out of a laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

Disassemble it and wipe it down with alcohol would be my guess
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

I have been through this. The tar and garbage gets sucked up by the cooling fan and gets deposited on the fan, and internal fins on the heatpipes/heatsinks etc. It's nasty sometimes as there is a thick coating of tar in there. The only real way to get rid of the smell is to dissassemble, remove the cooling internals and clean them. Alcohol and acetone cut it pretty well. Plastic in the case can absorb odors as well, so it might be an uphill battle to completely remove the odor.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 seg42

seg42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:35 AM

Did what you suggested. Uck. I was suprised the fans were working they were so gunked up. Took about three hours to remove all the junk from the board, fan, cd drive, and all the various ports. Another hour to clean out the heatsinks :thumbsup: I have learned two things that are helpful. Pipecleaners (special ones intended for our fiber polishing kit) are my friend, and as long as it's applied carefully so it doesn't get into anything, fabreeze will take the smoke smell out of plastic.

Thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users