Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing account

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lloydlec

Lloydlec

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:48 AM

Hi, can anzone tell me how to bring back all my programs after reinstalling XP Pro ? All the programs are still on my D drive which is a partition of C XP is on C but the interface has non of the programs. I really need to bring them back. I have fpund the fill under DOCUMENTS AND SETTING with all my old programns and all the old files that I need. I also see the new account. How do I remove the new accoutn and force the computer to load the old settings? Any help greatly appriciated

Edited by Lloydlec, 21 October 2009 - 07:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

What steps did you take to "reinstall XP"?

It sounds as if you overwrote your original install, IMO.

The fact that the programs installed are on a different drive...mean nothing without the registry and other system settings...those programs will not be available for use from the second install, if I'm correct.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Lloydlec

Lloydlec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

Hi,

You got it I did overright it but I have, besiders admin accounts, the original one. Does this mean I should just start reinstalling :-( if so had better start !! Can I copy all the info into the corrosponding files in the new ID or will the regestry really be messed then?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:18 AM

Well...if the files have been overwritten...that would mean that all original registry associations are no longer existing.

The only way to recreate such would be either to restore a full system backup...or reinstall the programs.

If it were me...I would dump it all and start with a clean install of XP.

I don't know how XP overwrites work...but I do know that (typically) some users exhibit/experience problems later when doing upgrade installs of XP (where files are overwritten).

I would save the Favorites, email, etc. folders (if possible) and if there was something saved from the previous install in a file...I would retain that also.

That's just my personal preference for doing things.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users