Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed RAM upgrade, won't boot?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Todd James

Todd James

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:57 PM

Hi all,

I'm going to try to get as specific as possible for you. I'm no computer wiz so please be gentle.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop, VGN-AR630OE.
Originally installed RAM is 2GB, 2X 1GB, DDR2, PC2 5300. My specs say I can upgrade to 4GB.

Running Vista Home Premium 32bit.
North Bridge Intel Crestline-PM PM965
Supported Memory Types DDR2-533 SDRAM, DDR2-667 SDRAM
Maximum Memory Amount 4 GB
Memory Slots
DRAM Slot #1 1 GB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
DRAM Slot #2 1 GB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

BIOS Version R105038

Don't know if you need more info then that.

I bought 4GB, 2X DDR2 PC2-5300, 667 MHz of Kingston RAM.
Compatible
667MHz (5300), 533MHZ (PC2-4200), 400MHZ (PC2-3200)

I removed my old RAM, installed the new RAM, made sure it was seated properly and when I clsed up and started it up my operating system won't start. Nothing at all. No beeps, no errors...nada!

I reinstalled my 2GB and starts up fine.

I don't really know about updating the BIOS. I did search the intel site but seem to not get a real answer, or one that I understand. Do I have to go in the BIOS and change something???

Checked compatibility and suppose to be 100% both on kinston site and Sony

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:06 AM

i know when updating the bios
some times you can use more then you could before

and some websites say under specs it will say

this info is for use with the latest bios

but do that intill some one else says some thing
because if some thing goes wrong when updating the bios....

your motherboard is dead

#3 TwoDigitz

TwoDigitz

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:23 AM

Dont mess around updating the bios, if your spec says the ram you bought is compatible you should not need to do owt else other than change it over, so if its dead its dead send it back and replace it. RAM comes with a limited life time warranty in most cases so you will have no probz replacing it for free. It is highly susceptible to static damage so handling is very important, even lightly touching the gold connectors can ruin it; in some cases you need to adjust the voltage going to the ram in the bios but i shouldnt think so in this case but to be sure just check the rated voltage is the same as your old ram.

I actually think its pointless upgrading ram on a standard laptop because the only way you can utilize 4GB of ram is if you are running a 64bit system otherwise your system will only make use of 3GB max, and i`ll bet your machine has never utilized more than 1.5GB at its busiest, so complete waste of time upgrading imo. Sent that RAM back as DOA and do yourself a favour: get your money back.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:33 AM

I agree in part. Suspect bad memory modules first. However with windows 7 Professional (not home premium) you get both the 32bit and 64bit Operating systems so it will recognize all of the available memory the laptop is equipped with and if your running Vista I HIGHLY recommend you upgrade.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Todd James

Todd James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for replies. I do need as much RAM as I can get out of my laptop as I use Adobe After Effects, 3DS Max, PS etc, etc. I use it when I have to go on a location otherwise I use my desktop with 8GB of RAM running 64-Bit. Of course that's not using all 8 but still.

I'm going to return the RAM today. I was careful as to make sure I didn't touch the contacts and also made sure I had no static.

#6 TwoDigitz

TwoDigitz

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:51 AM

I agree in part. Suspect bad memory modules first. However with windows 7 Professional (not home premium) you get both the 32bit and 64bit Operating systems so it will recognize all of the available memory the laptop is equipped with and if your running Vista I HIGHLY recommend you upgrade.

Are you saying Windows 7 Pro is both 32bit & 64bit compatible without having to preference one or the other ? If so, i shall keep that in mind for future ref.
But still, Todd is running Vista home premium 32bit so his max readable RAM is still only going to be 3GB unless he upgrades to 64bit to get the full benefit.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

That's what I thought I read somewhere but I can't find it anywhere now. I think I may be wrong :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:31 PM

What I recall reading...is that Windows 7 provides both the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version...as part of the same purchase. see following:

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windo...roduct/87DFFF11

Also, there is a compatibility mode download for users running 64-bit who are concerned with 32-bit potential for issues.

Louis

After reading everything, this seems to be a great deal to me, http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windo...e_offers_Family.

Edited by hamluis, 23 October 2009 - 10:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users