Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer - can not download

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mustang_Sally

Mustang_Sally

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

Hi there! I was working with the Malwarebytes forum a few weeks ago. I could not download Malwarebytes, and my browser was being hijacked. From there, they informed me that I probably had a rootkit. After running some programs and reporting the log files, they figured my computer was clean and the thread was closed. Since it is not just a Malwarebytes problem, I thought I would join your forum and see if you have some additional help for me.

OS - Windows Vista Home premium 32 bit

Symptoms - Computer running slow, almost slower than dial-up. Pages sometimes need to be refreshed a few times before they will load properly.
- I can not download programs from the internet.

Security tools used - Running AVG Antivirus 8.5 free
I was able to install spyware checkers from a memory stick, they include,
- Ad Aware.... it found 40 tracking cookies and 1 MRU object
- Super Anti Spyware... it found 38 tracking cookies
- AVG Anti-Rootkit... no rootkits found
- Dr. Web Cure it... probably MULDROP.Trojan action - incurable.deleted
- Malwarebytes... found nothing
- Spybot S&D... no threats found
- HiJackThis... ran last night and saved log file

After running all these programs, I still feel that there is something on my computer. I look forward to your help and suggestions.

Thanks
:thumbsup: Sally

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

There can be various causes for not being able to download files.

In the menu at the top of Internet Exlporer go to "Tools" > "Internet Options" > "Security" tab, click "Internet Zone", then click the "Custom level" button. Look under "Downloads" and check to see if "File Download" is Enabled? If not, enable it and click the "OK" button.

Make sure your downloading the file while logged into the Administrator Account or an account with administrator privileges.

Depending on your browser security settings, you may receive an alert under the top menu Information Bar that says "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options..." Click on that alert and choose "Download File". The File Download dialog box will appear asking "Do you want to open or save this file?" Enter your choice.

There are a few more suggestions in these links:Slowness and performance issues as you describe are not uncommon. If you're not finding any more malware, please refer to Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness and poor performance besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, too many browser Add-ons (toolbars), not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Mustang_Sally

Mustang_Sally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for your reply and for taking the time to help :thumbsup:

File download is enabled on my computer. There is only one user account on this computer, it had admin. privileges. When I download something, it looks as if the file downloads... I select where to save it to, the progress bar runs, and it looks like a normal download. However, when I go to retreive the download, it is not there.

I have run disk defrag, checked disk for errors, I have my antivirus and one other program running from startup programs... I shut off all the others regularly. (I was on dial-up for 10 years, I still practice the tricks for speed)
For tool bars, I have... menu bar, favorites bar, command bar and status bar... so not much for tool bars.
I have 3GB of RAM... that should be plenty for web surfing.
I have switch my Windows color scheme from Areo to vista basic.
I didn't have many desktop icons (10 of them) until I download all these spyware checkers. I will get rid of them after I'm fixed up.
I generally take care of my computer and keep it clean.
It was running at a normal speed until the virus/rootkit started. It has gotten very slow since after i was told the virus/rootkit looked like it was gone. Thats what makes me think that there is still something hiding there.

I have run through the various help suggestions for a slow computer and so far, nothing seems to be working.

What would you suggest next?

Edited by Mustang_Sally, 21 October 2009 - 09:49 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:05 AM

If none of the tools you have used thus far are finding any malicious files, this issue will require further investigation. Many of the tools we use in this forum are not capable of detecting all malware variants so more advanced tools are needed to investigate. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a DDS/HijackThis log.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,807 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/266435/slow-computer-after-virusrootkit-supposedly-removed/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users