Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual PC 2007

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Reddoug

Reddoug

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:46 PM

Hi All

I am trying to figure out how to install additions on my virtual pc so I can shared folders from my host computer. Running Vista Home Premium for host and Win 2K in virtual pc. One step I found says to click on Action tab and the install update additions. I do not have that option under action tab. I have; start, pause, reset, remove, settings and properties. Pause & reset are grayed out. I have been to Microsoft's website trying to find answers without any luck. Anyone run into this problem?

Thanks, Doug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:00 PM

You need to be running the Virtual PC, in your case Win 2K, to install Additions.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:26 PM

As CoolCatBad has suggested, you should first run the virtual machine then select Action > Install or Update Virtual Machine Additions from the virtual machine window. You can press short cut key Right Alt + I too.

What you are looking at is the MS Virtual PC Console Action menu.
Posted Image

Edited by Romeo29, 20 October 2009 - 10:27 PM.

#4 Reddoug

Reddoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:12 PM

Hi
When I start Virtual PC, it flashes what you showed me for just a second and then start my OS in the virtual pc. i do not have full screen mode enable. have tried it enabled and not enabled. I have tried all different settings in settings menu. It start in fuel screen mode every time.

Thanks, Doug

#5 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

Right Alt +Enter should toggle full screen.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

What CoolCatBad said.
Plus you can see all keyboard shortcuts in the snapshot I posted in my last post. Even in full screen you can install VM addiitions by pressing Right Alt + I

#7 Reddoug

Reddoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

Will give it a try.

Thanks, Doug

#8 Reddoug

Reddoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

Was able to stat installing addition but then it said it was removing additions. Now I can not get it to capture the mouse. Thinking about uninstalling OS and reinstalling it and maybe Virtual PC.

Thanks, Doug

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:09 PM

After installing additions you do not need to have your mouse captured by VirtualPC. The mouse can click inside Virtual PC without it being captured and without releasing you can use it in host OS. One good thing about installing Additions.

#10 Reddoug

Reddoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

I was not able to get to any point where it said I was installing any additions or ask what addition I want to isntall. It started to install and then I noticed it was removing additions and I can not open any programs. The only way I can close the OS is to shut down virtual PC. Can not click on start and then shutdown.

Thanks, Doug

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

In that case install additions again. I have seen this glitch in VirtualPC 2007 before. Sometimes the additions misbehave, in that case uninstall and reinstall (requires rebooting in VPC). You do not have to shut down VPC, just hit Right Alt + F4 or choose Action > Close. In the drop-down box you would see an option to shutdown.

#12 Reddoug

Reddoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

I removed OS from virtual PC and reinstalled it. Then I installed additions. Acted like it worked. No error messages. When I click on shared folders in settings it says not installed. Where would I find what additions were installed?

Thanks, Doug

#13 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:00 AM

Did you boot up the VM before you clicked on the shared folder settings? if you didn't then that's what you need to do.

unite.jpg

#14 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:42 AM

You can check Virtual PC additions in the control panel > add/remove programs section of the OS you installed inside Virtual PC.

A little trick :
Sometimes VPC shows that shared folders as disabled complaining that additions are not installed (even though they are installed), then I choose to install VPC additions. The install wizard pops up to uninstall the additions. I press cancel and Shared Folders are enabled again.

#15 Reddoug

Reddoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

Hi
I was finally able to enable the additions and share folders. Got busy and forgot to update post.
Thanks for the help. Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users