Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Must Read for Blue Screen Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 daltom1965

daltom1965

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

Greetings All

I am reporting this as a known issue that I have resolved. I want to share this info in hopes it will prevent someone from needlessly formatting their system. The systems I have repaired did NOT have malware. It was a service driver issue.

I have not yet determined the magic configuration your machine must have to cause the blue screens but is does point to not having SP3 or IE8.

The only way to recover is to boot to recovery console and manually uninstall KB971486.

After getting to recovery console type the follwoing commands:

cd $NtUninstallKB971486$
cd spuninst
batch spuninst.txt

You will see a series of files copied and then drop you off to a prompt. Type "exit" (no quotes!) then press enter. Your machine will reboot and should load normally.

Important!

If you do nothing from this point the update will reinstall and hose you again. I would suggest you download SP3 (at the least) and take your chances. If you do not you will have to force automatic updates to forget this update. If you want more detailed help let me know.

Daltom1965

Edited by daltom1965, 20 October 2009 - 08:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

Interesting, though it'd be helpful to know what the Stop Error was.

#3 daltom1965

daltom1965
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:49 PM

The problem was due to the lack of details the stop error was generating. If you read all of the MS support articles they all pointed to a specific driver in question. This error did not. It was the typical "your computer has been shut down to prevent....." followed by the hex value of 0x0000007E" and a string of additional hex vales which could not be macthed up by known issues. This lead me to suspect a recent update. After matching install dates I found 15+ updates occurring around10-15-09. The KB update I referenced turned out to be the culprit. I have not had the time to completely understand what KB971486 was attempting to patch but I do know it resolved the issue.

Daltom1965

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:11 PM

Hrmm... Google suggests that a 0x0000007E error is most common on Dell brand computers after running the latest updates, specifically KB971486. So your fix looks like the only fix at the moment.

Bloody Microsoft and their untested updates...
Bloody Dell and their... umm... stuff.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 20 October 2009 - 10:12 PM.

#5 daltom1965

daltom1965
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:18 PM

Bingo!
The first two I repaired were Dells.

New twist.

The one I repaired tonight was a neighbor down the street with a 3 year old HP. The plot thickens......

Daltom1965

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

HP's too, though not as much:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&p=224310#p224326
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19299068/19569298.aspx
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/...k_3_is_insecure