Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP scanning software?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kenasam

Kenasam

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 04:08 PM

Help! I'm at my last straw. I have an older HP scanner that always worked fine until I went to Windowx XP. The older software that came with the scanner is not compatible with Windowx XP. HP has attempted to create updates and "fixes," but NONE of these will install properly. Instead, I get error messages and incompatiblity issues.

On a different computer I had in the past, it seems that I recall Windows XP kicking in and running its own scanning software. Does that exist on XP Home Edition? If so, I sure haven't found it. I have tried all kinds of things to try to use the scanner but absolutely nothing will make it work. The scanner does show up in the device manager and it says it is working properly.

I have an HP Pavilion a1020n, Windows xp home edition.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 04:58 PM

What model of scanner, this will help us find the software you need.

#3 Kenasam

Kenasam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:12 PM

What model of scanner, this will help us find the software you need.

HP Scanjet 4200c --it is no longer made

I have the original software, and both versions of the HP updated software. None are compatible with Windowx XP or will not install.

I have tried suggestions from HP's site, such as fixing a problem upon trying to install updates--it explains how to delete the original hpupdate.exe file, then download a fresh one, install...but I always get an error of "Can't create output file: C:\sj655\hpupdate.exe" upon trying to install any update from the HP site, no matter what I try.

From reading other discussion forums at other web sites regarding this era of HP scanners, I have discovered that Hewlit-Packard has very little support for these older scanners (no surprise here). Tough luck. It's a nice scanner, always worked fine before XP came along.

So does anything exist in Windows to let me operate this scanner?

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:54 PM

Try this:
Unplug the scanner from the computer.
Remove the scanner from the device manager & Add & Remove Programs and all software associated with it. Reboot

Unplug the power cord from the scanner wait 30 sec, (this will reset it) plug it back in.

Shut the computer down plug the USB cable to the computer boot up and let Windows load the native XP Drivers from the driver cache.

Windows XP: List of Scanners That Are Supported by Windows Image Acquisition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q293356

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:21 PM

This article provides a list of scanners that are supported by Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) in Windows XP. These scanners have WIA device drivers that are, or that will soon be included in Windows XP.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...123120121120120

Hewlett-Packard
IIc
IIcx
IIp
ScanJet 2100C
ScanJet 3300C
ScanJet 3400C
3P
ScanJet 4100C
ScanJet 4200C
ScanJet 4300C
ScanJet 4P
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...123120121120120

"Information about using the Windows Imaging Architecture (WIA) interface in Windows XP (bps05304) is also available if the HP Scanjet scanner in use does not have any HP scanning software available that is Windows XP compatible"
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ocname=bps05304

HP Scanjet - Workarounds for Older HP Scanjet Scanners in Microsoft® Windows XP
Hewlett-Packard is not developing Windows XP software for the following HP Scanjet scanners; however, there are some workarounds that may make it possible to have some functionality in Windows XP with these older products.

HP Scanjet scanners
HP Scanjet 4C series
HP Scanjet 4P series

Workaround 1back to top of page

Deskscan 2.9 is compatible with Windows XP and may operate your scanner within the Windows XP environment. The following hyperlink opens the HP Scanjet 4c page.

This software works for all HP Scanjet scanners listed in the table above with the exception of the HP Scanjet 4100c series and 5100c series scanners. Click here to download DeskScan 2.9 and copy utility software .

NOTE: For scanners that require a SCSI connection, verify that the SCSI card is supported in Windows XP.

Workaround 2back to top of page

Microsoft Windows XP comes pre-installed with WIA device drivers (generic drivers) for some scanners. Try one of the Microsoft Windows XP drivers by following the steps below:

Shut down the computer system.

Connect the HP Scanjet scanner to the computer.

Plug the HP Scanjet scanner in to a power outlet and turn it on.

Restart the computer system. The scanner should now be recognized and the generic driver may provide limited scanning functionality.

Related support information

Scanjet Scanners Supported and not Supported in Windows XP
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ocname=bps05304

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:26 PM

HP Scanjet 4c Scanner (PC/ISA) driver:
Software & Driver downloads
HP Scanjet 4c Scanner (PC/ISA)

HP Customer Care

HP Scanjet 4c Scanner (PC/ISA)
Solve a problem
Software & Driver downloads
Setup and install
How to use
Product information
FAQs

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...ct=60105&os=228

Driver Download for
Microsoft Windows XP

Scanjet driver information and instructions
01-2002 1 - 19.0k

ScanJet Scanners DeskScan 2.9 and Copy Utility
11-1999 2.9

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...4&lang=en&cc=us

#7 Kenasam

Kenasam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:11 PM

Ok, I tried and re-tried all of the previous suggestions and nothing works to get this old scanner to work in xp. I am very tired of literally spending hours and hours on this venture.

The scanner is recognized in the computer system, but there is never a recognition by the Deskscan software with it. Speaking of Deskscan software, from what I've seen of it, it appears to be rather primitive. I don't think that I'd be happy with it even if it were to operate correctly with the scanner.

I even tried re-installing the original software in safe mode as suggested at the HP site, but the process immediately terminated with the message that it needed Windows 98. Shows you how far back the software goes.

I'm tired and I give up on this. Looks like I'll have to trash the scanner and buy a newer one. Oh well... :thumbsup:

Thanks to you all for your suggestions and help. I do appreciate it very much. :flowers:

Edited by Kenasam, 02 August 2005 - 08:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users