Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disks appear mysteriously unformatted

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 adamsmith070

adamsmith070

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

Windows XP and on Win 2K Pro

I have an intermittent problem on one or other of my hard disks, that appear on start up or reboot.

Manufacturers Diagnostics and S.M.A.R.T. tests all come back OK!

The disks are shown as unformatted in My Computer listing, asking if I want it to be reformatted ... etc.
Usually, I ignore it and on subsequent reboots it disappears. Perhaps, I may have done something to cause the change but what I do not know.

Has any one has this experience, and if so what have you done consciously to correct it?

Thanks

"Disks appear mysteriously unformatted"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

Sure, I've had that happen.

In every case, the hard drive or the file system had problems.

Did you run the long/extended test for the appropriate disk diagnostic?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users