Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help to Recover Data after Windows XP Crash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 barbtrd

barbtrd

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:58 PM

This past week the hard drive on my Dell Dimension 4500 "crashed". After working with a Dell tech support person he determined that the data is there - it shows in the directory of DOS but the crash was actually a Windows XP crash. I do have a reinstall disc of Windows XP (Home edition) but I don't want to use it because I need the data. I foolishly did not back up daily and I want to make every effort to retrieve my info, much of which is in "my docs" which I'm told will be deleted if I reinstall XP. I purchased an additional internal hard drive because my neighbor had a similar problem last year and he installed the new drive, installed XP on it and then pulled his data from the old drive. I don't know if this is possible and if so what steps I need to take to do it and if someone can help me I would appreciate it. As of now, the new drive is still in it's box and I haven't attempted any data retrieval. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:44 AM

You need the Ultimate BootCD 4 Windows this tool will give you full read/write access to your HDD and allow you to copy the files you need to your hdd. This is a freeware tool and has all many freeware tools that may allow you to repair your current installation.

#3 rmm55

rmm55

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:06 AM

So you do have the XP cd. Have you tried booting from cd and doing a repair install or loading the recovery console and typing chkdsk /r at the command line prompt yet? Both options may allow you to recover and retain all your data and settings.
Roy Mel - YourTechOnline technician
roy@no_spam_yourtechonline.com (remove no_spam_)

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:52 PM

The manufacturer of your harddrive has software which will migrate everything that's on your present hard drive to your new one.

For instance, here is Maxtor's:
MaxBlast 4 is a one-step, ATA/IDE hard drive installation utility. MaxBlast 4 makes hard drive installations and upgrades hassle-free for novices and professionals alike by automatically identifying, partitioning, and formatting any IDE hard drive, making it data-ready in about one minute. This version of MaxBlast is used on systems with already existing Windows installations to copy all your data to the new hard drive in order to use it as a boot drive, or additional storage drive. If you're building a new system, the MaxBlast bootable floppy or CD versions are recommended.
* Easy to use Windows interface
* Compatible with Windows 98, Me, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.
* Breaks the 528 MB, 2.1 GB, 4.2 GB, 8.4 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB and 137 GB capacity barriers.
* Supports both FAT32 and NTFS drive partitions.
* Supports up to four ATA devices in the same system.
* The copy feature lets you make an exact duplicate of your existing hard drive.
* Fast ATA and Serial ATA compatible.
* The installation tutorial option allows you to view the installation process before physically installing your Maxtor ATA hard drive.

Note: There must be at least one Maxtor ATA Disk Drive installed in the system for MaxBlast 4 to run.
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/m...s&downloadID=58

Other manufacturers provide similar software.

#5 barbtrd

barbtrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:17 PM

Thanks. I'll try your suggestions. I appreciate the assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users